Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old December 26, 2018   #31
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

I particularly like this video. I think he’s in Texas or someplace a heck of a lot warmer than me lol
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awbGUQc3-jU
Old December 27, 2018   #32
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

The last few years I have been composting my carp at nearby farms. I haven't buried any directly for a while, mostly because I haven't fished in the Fall as much as I used to. The first farm was a vegetable co-op, and they just put the carp in their regular compost pile. The last couple years I have been making my own piles on a different farm with mulch and straw covering the fish. It is great compost other than the big gill plates and rib bones...this Spring, when I collect last year's pile, I may sift it.

If anyone reading has a farm or land with a spot for a fish compost pile, and wants great soil amendment, you can likely get plenty of carp and rough fish from local bowfishermen. PM me and I'd be happy to discuss more.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019   #33
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

I decided to try this again...the critters have not been around the garden as much the last yr(maybe because of all the rain we've had). the guys went fishing. they came back with a boat full...fish heads and guts are now buried in garden beds I want to plant in come spring. i'll see if any critters dig them up or if they can decompose and become fertilizer for the beds.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #34
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

You can make a great soup with fish heads. Just saying, I know some people actually throw them away.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #35
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

zipcode I'm aware of that but I just can't make myself try it with the fish heads of the fish that are typically caught by the guys I mentioned. It's usually catfish(they're known around here as the buzzards of the lake/river/creek and carp. I have made fish stew with the carcasses of the catfish that are big enough to fillet. We like it occasionally.
Old January 18, 2019   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Had a guy a5t work become utterly disgusted with the idea of a cooked hogs head to make tamales but thought it was okay to boil a fish head in soup.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #37
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
You can make a great soup with fish heads. Just saying, I know some people actually throw them away.
Dad used to catch perch sometimes much to mom's dismay- too bony and lots of work.
My mother used to make fish soup that included the heads, meat bits and egg sacks. The heads were not the part I ate but loved those eggs. At the cottage one summer day I sat with an aunt who relished sucking the eyes and whatever meat was on the bony fish head, me asking her where the brain was, I more scientist at that age than gourmand.

My mother said she nearly drowned in the Danube, after the war while they were waiting to leave as DPs.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019   #38
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

We had a friend bring 3 snapping turtles that had swallowed the hook when he went fishing to us. He doesn't eat turtle. Pap dressed them and we decided to bury thei remains in some of the garden beds that haven't had fish in them. So far, this go round no wild critters have dug up what we buried. We'll see if this experiment equals better garden beds come spring.

Last edited by upcountrygirl; January 31, 2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add that we buried the remains
Old March 31, 2019   #39
rockman
Tomatovillian™

Ice fish in Jan. Bury remains carefully so not attract critters as our garden is 40' from a creek. After using chicken wire,coyote urine ect. that usually keeps them out until I fire up my strands of hot wire in May. So far our garden likes the fish, especially pumpkins. Fish 6" deep in a hill, seed 1" deep bury a gal. milk jug for water flush with ground about 1' away from plant and your in business
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2019   #40
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

It's a Native American tradition in the upper Midwest to bury a fish head and say a prayer for growth under each plant. I didn't see any special exclusion treatments used in an open field. In this particular environment it makes a good substitute for fertilizer.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote