Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 23, 2012   #16
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

We also have trouble with slugs. I've thought about starting a compost bin and using worms in that. Problem is I doubt I don't have many leftovers and when I do I doubt it would be good stuff for compost. Something to consider, even if it's just to put in the garden.

I'll pass on the green paint though. But thanks for the advice.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post

I'll pass on the green paint though. But thanks for the advice.

It's just a standing joke in our family. I am 50 now but way back when I was 8 or 9 years old I grew my first garden all by myself as part of a cub scout merit badge project. Beginning to end, from starting the seeds, preparing the bed, to harvesting the tomatoes.

Ironically another merit badge project was building a birdhouse. I happened to decide on green. Seems 8 year old kids are not quite as coordinated and so sure enough....I literally ended up with a green thumb that refused to wash off for a very long time.

When the tomatoes did spectacularily well it became a joke that it was due to my "green" thumb.

Tell you the real reason those tomatoes did so good. At 8 years old I was not above walking up and down the neighborhood after a big rainfall and "collecting" nightcrawlers that were drowning in the mud puddles. They all went into my garden. (which was only 6 tomato plants) I guess by the end of the summer I must have added 100 worms per plant! Any praying mantisses I ran across went there too.

Of course at 8 I really didn't have my skills I have today. But goes to show you that if you take care of the basics, ie soil, the rest becomes easy enough for even an 8 year old with a painted green thumb.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; November 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #18
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried (used) coffee grounds to keep the slugs away? It's supposed to help.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #19
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

So you were the kid with the green thumb. Funny story Scott. Well, you had a better garden when you were 8 than I've had for quite awhile. It gets frustrating being so bad at something and continuing to beat my head against a wall. Not to mention how much it hurts.

Kilroyscarnival, I haven't tried coffee grounds yet, but I have heard about it. When I till the soil in the spring I just kill the ones I find, but I'm sure there are tons more lurking around. I'll be using my grow bags more than in-ground next year and that helps.
Old November 23, 2012   #20
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

If your not opposed to using products that aren't 100% natural or organic, you can buy products at Lowe's or Home Depot to control the slugs. I think Ortho has a product that is called something like Bug-Geta (box of pellets for snails and slugs).

If you want lots of worms in the garden, then you should definitely get the aged horse manure. When I got mine, I had never seen so many red worms in one place before (the horse manure was just loaded with them). They were big and fat too.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #21
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark. I personally don't have a problem using products that are not 100% organic or natural. Might go that route.
Old November 23, 2012   #22
bower
Tomatovillian™

Actually, there are slug baits available that are approved for cert organic, and quite harmless. Expensive though. We have a lot of slugs here too, so I know the problem all too well. Last year I tried the coffee grounds to protect my greens - made a coffee grounds barrier all around the perimeter - and it really did help, and of course, cost no more than the effort.

The worst thing about slugs is that they limit the use of mulch, since they love to live under it. Mulching my leafy greens would be... deadly.

I do agree with RedBaron about the worms, though. There are worms in my tomato containers, and I encourage them.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #23
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the good ideas everyone.

Just placed an order with Seed Savers. I'll be giving the following a shot:

Tomato: German Pink, Italian Heirloom
Peppers: King of the North, Marconi Red, Jimmy Nardello's
Cucumber: Armenian
Corn: Bloody Butcher (just because it looks so neat in the picture and I've wanted to grow corn for awhile)

I tried making a purchase at Victory Seeds, but they had trouble charging my card for some reason. Think I have enough anyway. Wanted to buy Heidi (a paste) but will have to try another day.
Old November 24, 2012   #24
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Jeff,

Knowing it's you, I thought the thread title may have been about
the Browns 2013 training camp.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2012   #25
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

No, but I was going to start one about how the league should fire Ed Hochuli and his crew and bring back some replacement officials. They were just awful in some of their calls against the Browns. Guess when the owner builds a billion dollar stadium the league does their best to get him into the playoffs.
Old April 17, 2019   #26
hovermother22
Tomatovillian™

Do tomato seedlings germinate at different rates? Everything is popping up, but my Wisconsin 55s are yet to break through. They are brand new seeds from Johnny's.
hovermother22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #27
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Yes, tomato seeds germinate at different rates. For me it seems like the older the seed the longer it takes. You don't mention how much longer the 55s are taking compared to the others. A few days up to a week is not too long. Two weeks and there is something wrong especially for fresh seed.
Old April 18, 2019   #28
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Since this old thread has been revived at least for a couple of days, all the serious tomato growers I know in the UK start tomatoes indoors in Feb, use a machine to germinate them and either a windowsill or if they are lucky a conservatory. If we waited for good temps outdoors then it would be too late to get a good crop
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #29
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have seen seeds to germinate in 3 to 10 days. But most germinate in 5 to 6 days.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote