Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 29, 2017   #61
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Our local hydro store has the coir now in bales.check it out before you buy Ws for savings.
WS got so expensive; Kurt, can you give a link for the coir you're thinking of getting?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #62
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
WS got so expensive; Kurt, can you give a link for the coir you're thinking of getting?

I just looked last week to see if Home Depot still sold WS and saw the price jumped about $4 per block. Thankfully I'm eliminating grow bags except for any dwarf project grows, so I'll only be looking to fill 6-8 bags instead of my usual 24. But having a less expensive option would be good.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #63
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Mother Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I just looked last week to see if Home Depot still sold WS and saw the price jumped about $4 per block. Thankfully I'm eliminating grow bags except for any dwarf project grows, so I'll only be looking to fill 6-8 bags instead of my usual 24. But having a less expensive option would be good.
https://www.sunlightsupply.com/search/results

These guys are on the bag s I got,50 litres at 15.00 at a hydro store in Cutler Bay Fl.This does not have the water retention chemical.There is a dealer locator on page.Weird that the Co.is in British Vancouver,processed in the Netherlands(on bag).Shipping thru the Panama Canal?flying.Hope you can score for cheap.
Old January 29, 2017   #64
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Oops see #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Sorry wrong spot.

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/...ix-100-natural

Last edited by kurt; January 29, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017   #65
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I've been working with some of the coir, I like the feel of it and the seedlings seem to respond every bit as well as ones in promix. At 10.95 our 5kg block is priced like that at your local Sunlight Supply. Surprises me most things are higher here.

https://www.sunlightsupply.com/shop/...arth-coco-bale
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #66
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and ordered $50 worth for the free ship. I have been starting seeds in Wondersoil for about a week. I purchased a box each of the organic and the regular version with the moisture crystals. I bought the sheets instead of the brick from Home Depot and I love how easy the regular ws hydrates and stays moist. So far I've started a few herbs, lettuce broccoli and kale, and repotted celery in ws. I also started broccoli in jiffy mix and they are slightly bigger than the we. I'll see how they compare in a few days. For best practice I'll either cut back on watering or break open the product without the water crystals for tomatoes and peppers.

What I REALLY like about using we is the absence of fungus gnats! I hope they stay away...
I also have not crossed the path of how this will work with the dense planting method. I've been using individual cells with fusion_power's deep planting method for the broccoli and kale.

That's a good price for the quality of the coir. Have you calculated the cost when you add in your precision ferts, RS?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #67
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Just a follow up as I used this for seed starting and some potting up.

I'm very happy with the early seed starting results, but I eventually switched back to traditional Jiffy Mix. My initial plants were the broccoli lettuce early spring greens and they did great in the Wondersoil. The first peppers and tomatoes did well too, but I noticed the mix did compact and stay very wet at the bottom of the cell. The roots were very well branched but sometimes the plant itself was small, so I switched back. I think adding some perlite would have been perfect. I am using the remaining Wondersoil as an amendment with perlite for the dr earth and miracle grow I have on hand for the second potting up.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote