Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 11, 2016   #61
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I also love Russian Mini-Yellow and I think I still have lots of seeds for it from prior seed offers,can't remember how old now,sent to me by Robin.

And here's where she got it from,look somewhere in the 60's posts for her explanation of where she got it from.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26691

Carolyn

I read what she said about her Russian Mini Yellow, but my plants sure do grow taller than what she described - they grow almost as rampantly as Matt's Wild Cherry, but not quite. Mine in the hoophouse are at least twelve feet tall now, though the clusters look exactly like the photo she posted, with five or six fruits per cluster. I think, though I am not certain, that I got the original seeds from one of your offers. I just wish they were easier to pick for market, but they are so small it takes forever to get a pint basket filled, and I have to pick carefully so as to leave the stem on, or they split and I have to eat them myself. Well, I don't mind that part so much...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old September 11, 2016   #62
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

There arent many tomatoes i have to spit out but Church was just nasty. I took it to the choptag tasting. Not only did i spit it in the trash can, but i had to wipe my tongue with a napkin! Tasted like dirt!
Old September 11, 2016   #63
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

This year I have grown several new-to-me varieties and have been tasting them all. There was one that tasted salty to me and yes, again, yesterday the first taste of a Black Krim had that salty taste. A bit of a surprise as the tomatoes from this plant have been rather insipid in flavour. Not only according to me but also another grower/cook I share with. I thought the plant may not have had enough sun where it was placed but yesterday's tomato had more flavour. We have been much cooler the past couple of weeks. I will grow Black Krim again as it made a great addition to sauce.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2016   #64
ilex
Tomatovillian™

I've had salty tomatoes too. They are usually in the amazing taste boat with high brix. Some varieties do move into this area.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2016   #65
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
I've had salty tomatoes too. They are usually in the amazing taste boat with high brix. Some varieties do move into this area.
Salty tasting?

Smokey tasting?

Apparently I don't have either of those genes/alleles since I have never tasted same with any so called blacks,or otherwise with those traits.

Glad so many of you can do so, but not me.

Carolyn
Old September 12, 2016   #66
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Salty tasting?

Smokey tasting?

Apparently I don't have either of those genes/alleles since I have never tasted same with any so called blacks,or otherwise with those traits.

Glad so many of you can do so, but not me.

Carolyn
Me neither.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2016   #67
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Me tri-ther.

I also wonder if differences in taste perception are due use of specific descriptors, not just genes/alleles; where something like "salty" is more akin to savory or umami than like the normal-associated taste of table salt.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2016   #68
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Does burnt dirt - tasting qualify as smokey - tasting?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #69
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Taste is different between people, it's like color, everybody tastes something different. I'll put myself as an example, I don't feel the heat of some habaneros, but do feel it in others.

Also, taste can be difficult to describe.

Blacks do usually have a distinct taste. I wouldn't describe it as smokey.

Some that do have a very distinct flavour and aroma are many de colgar tomatoes.

This year I grew a yellow that tasted like fruit (apricot/melon) with almost no tomato flavour.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2016   #70
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Taste is different between people, it's like color, everybody tastes something different. I'll put myself as an example, I don't feel the heat of some habaneros, but do feel it in others.

Also, taste can be difficult to describe.

Blacks do usually have a distinct taste. I wouldn't describe it as smokey.

Some that do have a very distinct flavour and aroma are many de colgar tomatoes.

This year I grew a yellow that tasted like fruit (apricot/melon) with almost no tomato flavour.
I'm a fruit lover so please put that yellow one on my list for next season when I contact you about sending me some new ones, as we've done before. I pay via your SSE listings,you send seeds,it works out fine.

Just clarifying that it's not a trade situation at all.

I love both apricots and melons, and right now am feasting on some local watermelon,but when Martha explained what they looked like I'd never heard of such a shape.

She said they were long and narrow,almost like a zuchinni, black seeds in the middle which you scooped out, and then cut off the rind and cut up.

Anyone ever here of such a weird shaped watermelon?

Carolyn
Old September 13, 2016   #71
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Melons are awesome in their diversity and I wish I could have more space in order to grow some of them.

Speaking of tomatoes that don't taste like tomatoes I love those too, especially the ones that have the flavor like some tropical fruits.
Apricots, cherries, grapes, pineapple.. that would be neat!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2016   #72
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you know the variety Ilex ?
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2016   #73
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
Do you know the variety Ilex ?
I'm sure he does since I don't think he grows orphans.

And I already said above that when I order from him for next year,via the SSE Yearbook rates,that I really WANT that one.

Carolyn
Old September 17, 2016   #74
shule1

The most unique tasting tomatoes in my garden this year and the previous two years, include the following (but keep in mind that's only out of everything I've tasted personally; most of the large tomatoes I've had this year tasted very similar, but that was probably due to the soil and plenteous water I gave them, and what they're used to):

* Ovita (this was quite surprising, and good, but definitely a tomato taste)
* Green Giant (when sun-ripened and not watered much; this astonished everyone who tried it)
* Missouri Pink Love Apple (I still need to try the Seek No Further Love Apples I harvested recently)
* Ron's Carbon Copy
* The multiflora tomato that was supposed to be Jim Dandy (it looks kind of like Yellow Riesentraube; it had kind of a butterscotch taste to me, when quite ripe)
* Sweet Ozark Orange (when somewhat under-ripe it tastes like a peach; when ripe it tastes like a good tomato to me)
* Persimmon
* Punta Banda had unique texture but not unique taste
* McGee (this was one of my favorites; it was more acidic than most)
* Cherokee Green Pear (the first one I tried could easily win a taste contest; subsequent ones haven't been as good, yet, but they're still good; the first one had blossom end rot or some such; it's funny how those sometimes taste awesome)
* Early Girl F1 (when still orange, and not watered much, grown in our clay loam soil; when fully ripe they taste like lots of tomatoes do)
* An Early Girl F2 I grew last year (no matter the ripeness; actually, it was best fully ripe; it had kind of a fruity flavor, but a good rich taste with some of that scalp-tingle inducing effect that the orange F1 had, but it wasn't very acidic at all by comparison; this and the F1 are the only tomatoes I've had that give the scalp tingle, or whatever that is that I'm trying to describe)
* Medovaya Kaplya
* Malinovoe Chudo (this one isn't that unique, but for a large tomato, it's uniquely sweet; sometimes, perhaps it's bitter)
* Maglia Rosa
* Big Sungold Select, when fully ripe (I expect there are many similar varieties, but the taste was at first new to me)
* Monroe
* Chocolate Pear
* Mountain Princess (the indeterminate version; it had a sweet after smell; later fruit may have tasted/smelled less unique, but probably improved in some ways)

I still need to try many varieties, this year.

Last edited by shule1; September 17, 2016 at 04:38 AM.
Old September 17, 2016   #75
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

This year's most unique tasting have been.. (amidst of bland weather)
Esmeralda Golosina - so good, like a tropical fruit, you can eat it and not know it's a tomato
GGWT - another sweet fruit!

Kosovo has been delicious too in spite of the crazy weather, but, it has a much more detectable tomato flavor...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique