Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old January 4, 2017   #16
4season
Tomatovillian™

in the general discussion area there are 2 threads 1 on November 1, and one on July 15 both started by ALittleSalt. Multiple pages each.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #17
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Hope this is right place for this. Someone brought up electric tillers and I can't find the thread . Like to buy one if they're viable option for my needs. Thanks jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Hope this is right place for this. Someone brought up electric tillers and I can't find the thread . Like to buy one if they're viable option for my needs. Thanks jimbo
It is here http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43395
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #19
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salt , marked page and wife agrees we need it!
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2017   #20
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLeClair View Post
I agree...they are the bane of my gardening existence (that and gophers on my fruit trees). I'm also solarizing the bed this summer when the major heat comes in. I'm hoping that with the mustard, marigolds, and solarizing I can at least grow something in there next year -- even beans.
I solarized last summer. It worked nicely. Think I may do this every August as a maintenance.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #21
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

That is a lot of information!!
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #22
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I have found that tilling marigolds is like moving 3 steps backwards to go 2 steps forward. Counterproductive. Yes marigolds do help kill RKN. Tilling ruins the soil structure that allows predators nematodes to do their part.

Carolyn is right. Organic matter is important! But it is important to also consider the organic matter "highways" the predatory nematodes use are largely structured by soil glues (like glomalin). Tilling in especially sandy soil destroys that soil structure, even if you are tilling in organic matter. Much better to let the soil biology incorporate it. Most those organisms also have soil glues too, like the slime on earthworms.
Remember RKN are much smaller than predatory nematodes. They can flow right through the sand with the water. The predators being larger need channels.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here is a site I read the other day http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...nematodes.html It fits in this thread well.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote