Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 19, 2017   #1
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Default Rabbit Poo Ready for Service!

I have obtained about 100 lbs of good rabbit poo for soil preparation- two full hefty bags. Can someone suggest what I can till this with to get awesome soil? I have South Carolina red clay currently. Last year I tilled peat moss and black cow with the clay, and I had some pretty impressive 15 foot tall plants. But I understand that rabbit poo is on another level.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You are growing 15' tall plants - I think your soil is already there.

In organic gardening beliefs, Rabbit Poo is one that you can use without composting.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I always just put it on top. Let the worms do the work for you.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #4
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

That Carolina red clay gives a distinctive flavor to tomatoes. When I grew tomatoes on the coast the flavor was no where near the flavor obtained in the piedmont and mountain areas; comparing the same variety.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #5
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

I use the rabbit poo as a side dressing every 2 weeks when I fertilize with Tomato-tone. I use it as a rabbit poo manure tea on ALL my lettuces, basil, collards and broccoli and all the bean varieties. Great stuff!
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I too just use it as a top dressing and allow the worms to make quick work of it. It won't burn the plants, so why bother to do all of the work to dig it in?
Old February 27, 2017   #7
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I just quit trying to remember stuff. And if something does stick, bonus!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #8
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I was looking on CL for someone offering rabbit poo for sale and there were none within a fairly large radius. I noticed lots of rabbits for sale, but not the droppings.
I figured if they had rabbits, they had some manure, so I called one of the rabbits for sale ads , told him I was looking for some rabbit manure for my garden and he was very nice. He told me his address, to bring containers and I could have all I wanted. I am going tomorrow evening and load up.
Old March 22, 2017   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Good idea, several people near me sell it but don't give it away. Sometimes Alpaca poop is easier to find and is pretty much the same.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #10
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Good idea, several people near me sell it but don't give it away. Sometimes Alpaca poop is easier to find and is pretty much the same.
I did see some Alpaca offered for sale, but it was $20 a bag and was about 50% straw. Good stuff I am sure, but didn't want to spend $100 for poop.
I wasn't able to go pick up the rabbit poo tonight as planned as my middle son and family came into town from Omaha and we had dinner and spent time visiting. Saturday morning hopefully.
Old March 27, 2017   #11
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I would lay it on top and then turn it over with a pitchfork. Clay is slow to absorb water and I'd to see all that good stuff wash away in the next heavy rain.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #12
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Score!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #13
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I went Saturday morning and filled up 2 large totes of rabbit droppings. I tried to give the guy some $ to buy some rabbit food but he would take it.
While there I saw this huge old tree and commented on what a cool tree it was and he said it had been studied by the state and it was declared the oldest White Oak in the state of Missouri and estimated to be 300 years old. Very cool stuff IMO.
Old March 27, 2017   #14
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I went Saturday morning and filled up 2 large totes of rabbit droppings. I tried to give the guy some $ to buy some rabbit food but he would take it.
While there I saw this huge old tree and commented on what a cool tree it was and he said it had been studied by the state and it was declared the oldest White Oak in the state of Missouri and estimated to be 300 years old. Very cool stuff IMO.
Congrats on the fertilizer SteveP. Incredible story about the tree, 300 years is a long haul. Thanks for sharing .
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #15
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Congrats on the fertilizer SteveP. Incredible story about the tree, 300 years is a long haul. Thanks for sharing .
Thanks Jimbo.