Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 28, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Rabbit Poo Use

Alright, before I get too far-
I've read/ heard that rabbit manure can be used fresh, uncomposted without the risk of burning plants. Is this true?

If true, what's the best way to about using the manure? I have limited quantity (I just have a few bunnies), so I'd like to make the best use of it.

I've wondered if I could add a small handful to the planting holes of my tomatoes/ eggplant/ peppers(?). Would this be recommended?

I'm gardening in virgin soil so I'm just trying to devise my "planting hole recipe"
(things I've considered: alfalfa/ soy meal, bloodmeal, espsom salts, Espsoma/ Tomato Tone, kelp tablets, rough compost)

Any help and input appreciated, as always!
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #2
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Your tomatoes will love the rabbit poo and it can be used without decomposing. Put some in the hole, top dress with some and then let some soak a few days in water to water your plants with as the season progresses. I have heard of people actually growing in 100% Bunny Berries instead of soil, although I have never tried it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2017   #3
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Your tomatoes will love the rabbit poo and it can be used without decomposing. Put some in the hole, top dress with some and then let some soak a few days in water to water your plants with as the season progresses. I have heard of people actually growing in 100% Bunny Berries instead of soil, although I have never tried it.
Good ideas- I may need to get some more bunnies
Old April 29, 2017   #4
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I absolutely love rabbit poo as a fertilizer and soil amendment. Worms love it too. I put it in my compost bins mixed with straw, especially if it is very wet. I do add it directly around plants but not lettuce in case there might be a problem with unwanted bacteria. I use aged poo for crops close to the soil.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2017   #5
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

How much to add to my planting holes for tomatoes? Hmmm
Old April 29, 2017   #6
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I have never added it directly to my tomato holes but I would imagine a handful would be fine. You can sidedress throughout the season as needed. You could also mix it with compost and add.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #7
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

I just got a 30 gal trashcan full of rabbit poo that was about 1/2 rabbit berries and 1/2 straw bedding.

When I setup my rain gutter system (used walmart fabric shopping bags), I put about a shovel full of the rabbit poo/bedding in each bag along with handfull of epsom salt and 1/2 cup lime. I then put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of tomato tone around the top rim of the bag.

The rest of the mix was re-used promix BX.

The tomatoes all look "OK", but the top/new leaves are curled inward on themselves. I left 1 bag w/out the rabbit poo, and that plant is curled also, so I don't think its the rabbit poo. Its been SUPER cold here, and I have the greenhouse heater set at 55, so I think the curling is environmental related.

I would say that rabbit poo does not burn plants.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2017   #8
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

What's your soil pH? If you don't know, why use the lime?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote