Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 7, 2017   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default putting down straw mulch

Right now soil temps are in the mid 60's,I always use a 6 to 8 inch layer of straw to mulch around all my plants in the garden.With all this cool weather we have had I'm not sure if I should wait another week as it's going to be in the upper 80's next week with low's in the 70's at night.Right now it's in the mid 50's at night.I put a black cloth cover on the ground and planted my pepper and cucumber into it to warm up that part of the garden and plan to remove it and then mulch.With so much rain we've been getting the weather has been at least 10 degrees cooler than normal.My tomato plants have really suffered because of all the rain.I had to replace 8 out 15 plants because they just rotted away.My garden drains well but we have not had this much rain in a long time.Clay soil about 12 inches down.I have been using straw mulch the last 10 years and cover crops in the winter to help build the soil.Crazy weather the last two years for April and May.Thinking of waiting another week,anyone in this part of the country or having the same weather who mulches having the same problem?

Last edited by cjp1953; June 7, 2017 at 04:34 AM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #2
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I am in PA and seeing the same weather. I also mulch with straw but mine is a bit thin right now and I need to add more.

You're are right to be concerned because I have a few areas where it is piled pretty deep because I pulled it away from another area to plant some beans and it is very wet under those piles. I also have lots of clay about a foot down.

I would wait until next week when the heat gets here to be safe.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Coming home around 2 this afternoon and the air temperature is 59 degrees,going down to 52 tonight and 54 tomorrow night.Looking forward to some warm weather.
Old June 7, 2017   #4
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

It was 55 degrees here this morning at 8 am.
Old June 7, 2017   #5
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

85 Saturday.92 Sunday.Right now 60 just plain crazy!
Old June 7, 2017   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How does 94F at 34% humidity do for you.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #7
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Worth1,I always loved the heat,we get very humid summers here in Ohio.I have been a cyclist since 1980 and have done 100 miles ride on days when the temps reached 100 degrees.You have to keep hydrated for sure.The older I get the warmer I want to be.Funny thing is after I have had my knee replacement surgeries I seem to be cold all the time.Right now it's 60 outside,my wife is in the other room with the door open and I'm in the frontroom covered with a light blanket watching TV.I'll be on my mountain bike this weekend when it warms up,just have to put on some sunblock.lol
Old June 7, 2017   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like to go out and sit in the sun till it goes down and then come inside.
Then I cook supper eat take a hot shower and get under the fan
I must be the only nut here that does it.
What I wish is they would do away with daylight savings time.

Worth
Old June 7, 2017   #9
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I agree,just keep the time the same all year long.I think that started for the farmers,can't remember when it started but I don't remember doing it in the 60's.I'm 64,so old age has affected my memory.lol
Old June 7, 2017   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
I agree,just keep the time the same all year long.I think that started for the farmers,can't remember when it started but I don't remember doing it in the 60's.I'm 64,so old age has affected my memory.lol
My dad said it was so the doctors lawyers and politicians could get in more rounds of golf.
Old June 7, 2017   #11
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We should just get rid of standard time and always be on daylight time if it was my call.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
We should just get rid of standard time and always be on daylight time if it was my call.
Daylight savings in the winter and standard in the summer.
I go to bed at 8:00 to 8:30 and the darn sun is still up.
Worth
Old June 7, 2017   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Back then

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
There was no "light"per say.As all of us who work outside can attest you look at the sun for timing,to start your day and do the things you can see.Until the telegraph,trains who rode along side by side there was no standardization,no schedule,trains ran into each other,head on.So for now all of the tv sports finals,my Penguins,and kid curry are close to my time zone.No 11 pm games for me.When the wireless gets as fast as time itself,maybe we can all be in the same time zone.Go figure.
Old June 12, 2017   #14
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Ground temps around 70,rain in the forecast the next 3 days so I spread alfalfa pellets through the whole garden and put a thick layer of straw down.All I need is rain to break down the pellets.We have 90 degree temps and night time around 70.Great weather to put some growth on my plants.
Old June 12, 2017   #15
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it was 95 degrees here today and humid. No worries about the soil being too cold.