Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 4, 2018   #16
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

I actually just got started as well as I’ve been reading up on all of the benefits of using work castings ( there are tons). I’ve had several cold (unsightly) piles of leaves and yard waste sitting for about a year.

I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone and ordered a 100 gallon smart pot (fabric) filled it up with all the leaves and stuff from the yard. To this I added a wheelbarrow full of horse manure a bunch of alfalfa pellets and crushed basalt rock dust. I let that hot compost until it cooled off.

Then I re amended with 10 lbs neem meal (the castings retain neems beneficial properties) some brown kelp meal and malted barley.

I’ll let that go for about 6 months with 1000 red wriggles (they’ll multiply many times over by then) and I should end up with some pretty premium worm castings.

This is all I add to my no till beds so I combine everything into the vermicompost and apply a thick layer to the no till beds. Just add some compost teas and you’re all set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #17
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
Alex, I read horse or cow manure attracts red worms. Of course the manure must be well aged or the wormer they use for the animals would kill them. I also have an outside compost pile. I bet that beer mash really helps. I was wondering if my left over rye flour and wheat flour would help my outside compost pile. After a winter season of bread making anything left will get those weevils in it come summer.

Tim - add those rye and wheat flours directly to the worm bin they’ll love it.

Old March 4, 2018   #18
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I restarted my WormInn in November. I bought the worms from a vendor in Texas and they are SO much better than those I bought from the first vendor. (the one that pops up on a google search).

First time around, I kept them for about 3 years BUT I read to include leaves. Big mistake - within time, the WormInn was inundated with earwigs. I tried over 1 year to get rid of the earwigs by separating the worms and starting over. It was a hoot throwing 20-50 Earwigs to the lizards; a total feeding frenzy.

This time, nothing from the ground goes in. I'm also growing Microgreens - big reason for getting the worminn going again (also bought a composter for the same reason). And the worms thrive on the Microgreen stems, roots, and mix.

Barb, mind sharing the vendor in a PM? I’m in the market for some more worms.

Old March 4, 2018   #19
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTomat0 View Post
Barb, mind sharing the vendor in a PM? I’m in the market for some more worms.

It was Texas Worm Farm.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #20
Tiny Tim
Tomatovillian™

TexasTomat0, Sounds like your off to a good start too. I've been using worm tea and castings for about a year. A friend has been supplying me. Just thought it was time to start my own bins. I might try a tiny bit of that flour at a time for starters. Good luck and Happy Gardening.
Tiny Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #21
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I have a question about the worm factory and my backyard full of inquisitive squirrels , raccoons, and feral cats.

I have a used worm factory that was given to me by someone moving. It had been left outside in a pile of other items and the lid is rather warped. I don't want to use it indoors for that reason.

Is there any "diet" that I might give the worms that would not attract the attention of these 4 legged visitors, and would the worms themselves cause any extra creatures to the backyard. As a reminder, I had to have my house resided with vinyl and several trees removed as something made itself at home in my home.

At what temperature do the worms survive and thrive outdoors in a cold climate? My growing partner used to have several bins going in his heated garage and production was very low in the winter but at least they survived.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2018   #22
Tiny Tim
Tomatovillian™

Lisa, Mines inside now. When I put it outside I plan on using a ratchet strap around the bin.
Lets face it. If they want to chew through the bin nothing will help. I live with all these animals as well as black bears,skunks,opossums, fisher cats. We even have a dumpster. Nothing gets into our dumpster. But, we do have a dog. I use vegetable matter in my compost pile and never see it disturbed either. I believe we have enough natural resources for them to eat around here. From what I understand our comfort range is also where they do the best. 60-85. If you or anyone has Hannaford super markets in your area. The cantaloupe they have on sale for 2 for $3.00 is sweet and the worms love the rinds.
Tiny Tim is offline   Reply With Quote