Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 20, 2018   #16
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your feedback and recommendations. I have not been adding much to build up the soil in my garden. I have used Black Kow and some ProMix, mostly along the planting rows. We have a small city lot with zero trees, so I don't have leaves to mulch. I do have a close friend who has a lawn care business so grass clippings and mulched leaves in the fall should be doable. There is also a Starbucks within a mile of the house and I will see about getting some coffee grounds. I will plan on add about 6 cu ft of ProMix and tilling it into the top 6" of soil. I don't plant my garden until the end of April, so time is running out. I also bought several (smaller) bags of TomatoTone and GardenTone at the end of last fall for cheap and am considering tilling some of it in when I till in the ProMix. Will also add a few bags of BlackKow again also.

Something I have been needing to do and never seem to get done is a soil analysis by the county extension office. I think I will do that later this week and see what they recommend for Ph and nutrients. What I think I have learned is I need to focus more on building a good soil and not solely on growing the plants. Thank you again for all of your suggestions. I have a much better understanding of what I need to work on.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #17
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Well, I spent a big portion of the day yesterday afternoon trying to get my Mantis tiller running. Rubbed a big blister between my fingers pulling on the gosh darn noodley thing. So I youtubed it and with some minor carborator adjustments, had it working like a champ within 5 minutes this morning. Major victory for me as I am NOT a mechanical type and usually screw things up worse.

They are calling for rain and thunderstorms moving in Sunday, so I decided to wing it as best I could. Here is what I am doing and am half way done after about 90 minutes of work and several short sit down breaks.

Tilled a row about 18" wide and 6" deep. I added about 3" of Back To Nature Cotton Burr compost and tilled that in with the soil. This left about a 5" trench. To the trench I added about 10 gallons of year old rabbit manure, a bag of Black Kow, a couple of inches of last years ProMix, some diatomaceous earth and some Garden Tone that I bought at the end of last season for $3. Worked it together with a garden for and raked the soil/ cotton burr compost back over the trench which made about a 4" mounded row.
So, I am half done and have 1 more row to duplicate the above process. Hopefully it will be a winner because last year was not good.

On the Cotton Burr Compost I read the Back to Nature (made in NW Texas) was the one to use because they don't spray their cotton to defoliate before picking. They just wait for a killing frost to defoliate. It really looked like good rich stuff and is supposed to be excellent for breaking up clay soils in the garden.
Now back to work because I also have 2 flower beds in the front that need major attention too. Thank you all again for recommendations. Even though I didn't follow anyone exact recommendations, it made me give it lots of thought and I also spoke to 2 Local master gardeners who highly recommended the Cotton compost for our local soil. I had everything on hand except the 4 bags of $8 compost.
Old May 20, 2018   #18
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Update- my raised bed garden is doing great so far, noticeably better than the last few years. I know I winged it with amendments this spring, but it appears I sure didn't hurt anything. I know I need to do the right thing and get my soil tested by the county extension, which I will after this season. I have been very negligent in taking advantage of a very useful resource.
Old May 20, 2018   #19
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Well, the results are what counts, Steve, and if it's looking good, that's success! Congratulations!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #20
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Well, the results are what counts, Steve, and if it's looking good, that's success! Congratulations!

Nan
Thank you Nan. I have been pretty neglectful in building a healthy soil the last 5-6 years. My laziness is my worst gardening enemy. The joys of getting older.
Old May 20, 2018   #21
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh. me too. I'm going no-till partly because it's getting harder to use the tiller.

But those aches & pains really make you find ways to streamline your gardening.

I'm going to cover crop this fall, some winter-killed radishes, oats & peas. Get my nitrogen, break up the clay, with as little work as possible.

Nan
Old May 20, 2018   #22
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh. me too. I'm going no-till partly because it's getting harder to use the tiller.

But those aches & pains really make you find ways to streamline your gardening.

I'm going to cover crop this fall, some winter-killed radishes, oats & peas. Get my nitrogen, break up the clay, with as little work as possible.

Nan
I did the no till- do nothing method the last few years. It was easy, but the results suffered.

I put down weed mat like I always did planned on putting 3-4" of straw on top of that for moisture retention but the 3 bales I bought at Lowes was full of seeds. Decided to plant peppers in the bales.
I decided to buy some bales of compressed pine shavings (fine) and am using those instead. I will remove the weed mat this fall and work the pine shaving into the soil a little to help decompose. The work what's left into the soil next spring. I am really trying to break up this wad of clay I affectionately call a garden.
Old May 20, 2018   #23
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Yes, my garden is heavy clay also. Hoping the tillage radishes will break it up some.

Nan
Old May 20, 2018   #24
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, my garden is heavy clay also. Hoping the tillage radishes will break it up some.

Nan
Nan, I should have said that my concept of no till was that I basically did nothing to the soil. And that is exactly what I did to the soil, nothing. Every year I dug a hole and planted a plant. I just had no concept of what no till required. My ignorance was my problem.
Old May 20, 2018   #25
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Dont forget to keep feeding the soil. I believe the Espoma recommends once per month for their products. Check the label for the product you have.

My next feeding is June 1st for my Greenhouse Maters. It was a little slow, kicking in, but dont want to screw it up now by forgetting to feed.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #26
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Nan
I also grew tillage radishes as my winter cover crop,the problem I have is the leaves all have decomposed leaving bare ground which then cracked badly and then we had all this rain yesterday.Today I put 12- 40 pound bags of composted cow manure that I spread across the surface after I took my garden fork and loosened the soil.I don't want to till it in as I have been doing no till the last couple years and have many earthworms but have a problem with clay soil.Very frustrating and I have used cover crops for many years.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #27
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
Dont forget to keep feeding the soil. I believe the Espoma recommends once per month for their products. Check the label for the product you have.

My next feeding is June 1st for my Greenhouse Maters. It was a little slow, kicking in, but dont want to screw it up now by forgetting to feed.

Thanks for the reminder FourOaks. I fertilized again yesterday and today we have gotten over 2" of welcome rain. I set my plants a little over 3 weeks ago and they were about 4" showing above ground. They are now up to my waist and are heavy with blooms and small fruit. I am using a combo of fish emulsion, Lady Bug John's Recipe, liquid kelp and worm tea to fertilize every 2 weeks after putting 1/4 C of Garden Tone mixed in the bottom of each hole at planting.I sprayed for disease prevention 4 days ago and also insect control as I saw a bunch of ants around the perimeter of the raised bed. After all the rain I will re spray the fungicide. I seemed to get what I think is early blight each season so I am attempting to keep in front of it this year. At this early stage they look very happy.