Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2019   #46
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I have plenty of Siberian Pink Honey seed.

For those who requested Estler's Mortgage lifter seed, I mailed them over the last 3 days. If you do NOT receive them within a week, please drop me a message and I will put some more in the mail.

One caution re the Hibor seed. I got low germination from these seed started a few weeks ago. Please anticipate having to plant most of the seed to get a few viable plants. The seed were saved in 2018 so they are fresh.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #47
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.thad View Post
Japanese Pink Cherry. I could not find it in a Google search.
I'm still of the opinion that "Japanese Pink Cherry" is most likely just a further selection of Sweet Treats F1. Roger's Garden sold "Japanese Pink Cherry" a few years back , and they used the exact same stock picture of "Sweet Treats F1" that Sakata uses.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #48
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
The last time I found Black Early, it was from Heritage Harvest in Canada. They will not ship to the US. I have a relative there who was visiting and delivered them. I love the tomato too. Black Giant has been my replacement.
Barb

Do you see any difference in Black Giant and Black Early? The reason I ask is I think they might be the same tomato based on several descriptions of Black Giant I have read. Here is one.

"Contrary to its name, Black Giant produces medium sized purple back 6-12 oz fruit. Hardy tomato from the Baltic region of Europe, heavy early producer."

https://www.restorationseeds.com/pro...k-giant-tomato

Both from Europe, both early and productive. bout the same size. If they are the same tomato it wouldn't be the first time that has happened would it?

I got some Bulgarian Red Giant which is really old commercial heirloom from Bulgaria and grown by many. I have seen two Bulgarian large red tomatoes that I am pretty sure are Bulgarian Red Giant renamed.

Here is what happens. American tourists travel to Bulgaria. Then they hit the local farmers market and see this giant red tomato. They buy it , save seeds, come back to USA and grow it and name it and then you have a new Bulgarian heirloom.

I could show you that story word for word at Tanias tomatobase but will leave it alone. People are proud of their tomato discoveries ya know
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #49
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Do you see any difference in Black Giant and Black Early? The reason I ask is I think they might be the same tomato based on several descriptions of Black Giant I have read. Here is one.

"Contrary to its name, Black Giant produces medium sized purple back 6-12 oz fruit. Hardy tomato from the Baltic region of Europe, heavy early producer."

https://www.restorationseeds.com/pro...k-giant-tomato

Both from Europe, both early and productive. bout the same size. If they are the same tomato it wouldn't be the first time that has happened would it?

I got some Bulgarian Red Giant which is really old commercial heirloom from Bulgaria and grown by many. I have seen two Bulgarian large red tomatoes that I am pretty sure are Bulgarian Red Giant renamed.

Here is what happens. American tourists travel to Bulgaria. Then they hit the local farmers market and see this giant red tomato. They buy it , save seeds, come back to USA and grow it and name it and then you have a new Bulgarian heirloom.

I could show you that story word for word at Tanias tomatobase but will leave it alone. People are proud of their tomato discoveries ya know
I think Black Giant and Black Early are very close. I have not paid much attention since I grow both. I will have to remind myself to take better notes. I do know Baker Creek once sold Black Early and then sold Black Giant. So I wonder if that means anything. They both taste similar to Cherokee Purple but earlier and a heavier producer for me.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #50
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Thank you, I had forgotten about that site. Medovaya Kaplya seems to be a variety best grown by itself. It seems to cross easier than other varieties. Thank you for reminding me
Here's another place that I believe sells Medovaya Kaplya (under its translated name): http://doublehelixfarms.com/honey-drop

I knew about that link before I knew it was called Medovaya Kaplya (and it's what inspired me to seek seeds out from you). I thought I verified that it was Medovaya Kaplya (rather than just assuming based on the name and description), but I don't see how I would have done that, offhand.

If you ran out of seeds, I saved a lot of them from the plants I grew from the seeds you gave me, but if you're looking for another source that didn't come through you, I don't have any of those.

Funny you should mention crosses, since one of my growouts was a crossed version of it, too, with red, oblong-but-not-pear-shaped fruit (no idea what it crossed with). It was still tasty, but I haven't grown out the F2 (although I did save seeds). Fortunately, it's PL, so most first-generation crosses are easy to spot right away.

If I could cross it with anything, though, I'd probably cross it with Sausage.

Last edited by shule1; March 21, 2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old March 21, 2019   #51
shule1

Quote:
I think Black Giant and Black Early are very close. I have not paid much attention since I grow both. I will have to remind myself to take better notes. I do know Baker Creek once sold Black Early and then sold Black Giant. So I wonder if that means anything. They both taste similar to Cherokee Purple but earlier and a heavier producer for me.
Barb

I've grown Black Giant, and another variety called Black sourced from Territorial Seeds some years ago (which might be Black Early, but I'm not sure). I grew both varieties twice (although Black Giant didn't get a fair trial the second year, due to being in the shade of some currant bushes). They seemed pretty different to me. Black was more prone to being mealy/tasteless, and Black Giant produced more. Black probably got bigger fruit. Black was earlier.

EDIT: I see that TS is listing Black again (and now that I see it, the description is pretty different from that of Black Early).

Last edited by shule1; March 21, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old March 21, 2019   #52
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I've been growing out ALL of the Husky varieties since about 2000. They have always grown true for me. Right now I have 4 of them listed. Husky Red is the only 1 I don't have decent seed for right now but it's on my grow list again this year.

Carol

I've grown out the seeds for a while. I've personally never found one that was true-to-type, but I did find several that I liked better with regard to taste/texture. Getting the earliness to stick in future generations seemed to be a challenge (only the F2s were particularly early).

While it's true that it's an F1 hybrid, it's possible that my F2 seeds were crossed with Roma, which we grew next to the F1. So, that might explain why they weren't as true-to-type as yours (and why one of the F3s was a paste-shape, as well as why all the F2+ were firmer than the F1).

Last edited by shule1; March 21, 2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old March 21, 2019   #53
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Once before on a similar thread I was looking for a variety received from a lister in Seed Savers. This was at least ten years ago. It is a large pink beefsteak called Paul's Pink Pride. Since I have not received the yearbook for at least five or six years I can't look it up nor do I remember who it came from. My saved seeds somehow disappeared. Anybody?
Old March 21, 2019   #54
shule1

Here's a list of varieties that I don't know where to find:

* Taos (65 days; heat/cold/drought-tolerant; 6-8oz; canner/slicer/salad; it's not the same as Taos Trail)
* Hotset (I'm not sure this really exists; I mean an actual breed called Hotset, rather than any heat-tolerant tomato)
* Those new storage tomatoes that people have been raving about.

Last edited by shule1; March 21, 2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old March 21, 2019   #55
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Double Helix Farms is not active. The owner was ill and I do not think he has the site working. At least everything I tried to order has no add to cart option. He was one of the sites for Siberian Pink Honey.
Barb
Old March 21, 2019   #56
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Double Helix Farms is not active. The owner was ill and I do not think he has the site working. At least everything I tried to order has no add to cart option. He was one of the sites for Siberian Pink Honey.
Barb
Just so you know,the variety is actually Pink Honey, Rosovyi Myod. The name Siberian was added by the seed vendor for more credibility. There's a thread about here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Found it. See Carolyn's post 4th or 5th down. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ian+pink+honey
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2019   #57
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Rozovyi Myod. I'm too lazy to keep looking up how to spell it. I have a discussion on it also on growing for our plant sale.

Last edited by barbamWY; March 22, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old March 22, 2019   #58
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, Rozovyi Myod. I'm too lazy to keep looking up how to spell it. I have a discussion on it also on growing for our plant sale.
My point being Siberian isn't part of it's name. I wasn't pointing out a spelling error.
Google "buy Rosovyi Myod seeds" and many choices pop up. Not hard to find.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019   #59
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I was only commenting Rosovyi Myod seeds are getting harder to find not that they can not be found. In the past I could order the seed from Baker Creek, Ohio Heirloom Seeds and Double Helix Farms. The seeds come up in a search, but are not available. Yes there is still the option of Pay Pal, Amazon and a couple of very small companies that I am not familiar with. I did order from one of the US companies that comes up. The seeds arrived with a ? after the name on the packet so not reassuring what I got.
Barb

Last edited by barbamWY; March 22, 2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old March 22, 2019   #60
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Here's a Russian source for Rozovyi Myod
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomato-Pink...sAAOSwxp9W~BjW

I've ordered from her often, no issues. The shipping fees are very reasonable.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote