Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2019   #76
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Schule1, you hopefully won't ever see the Spanish hanging tomato seeds for sale. The original source of them asked that they never be sold, "in honor of the poor people" with whom the seeds originated. They can be traded; Check your PM box.
Maybe because people who are very poor can't afford to buy seeds and they are shared and traded free of charge, amongst neighbors and friends, as a source of food. If that is the case,and as poor as they are they refuse to try to profit from those who also need food, they would like to see that tradition respected. Pay it forward rather than make a profit from it.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2019   #77
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I'll get my Hawaii varieties in the mail for you - I don't think they like the Indiana climate. I saw/witnessed Fusion's issue and non productive - but....................
Thanks again for your mailing to me
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019   #78
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

True, but I am not clear on how they want to be honored. I have only heard, second hand, how someone wants to honor them...

It was not explicitly stated what "the poor" expect or want, in the way of seed distribution or lack of distribution.

They may not want the seeds to be distributed period. Again, What I read is that the wish of someone who was distributing seeds doesn't want them bought or sold.

It was not stated that "the poor", who were the source of the seeds, want them distributed for free.

The idea that they don't want anything sounds fishy to me. I bet if they don't want them bought or sold, they may not want them distributed, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's not for us to decide, or even understand, how they want to be honored.

Perhaps a walk in their shoes would find the answer. Seeing things from a different perspective can change minds. If they have everything they need, rather than want, what good is a royalty check? One thing is extremely clear, they must have a very strong reason why they don't want seeds and plants sold.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2019   #79
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Been waiting for several years and two or three threads like this to get a variety I had and then misplaced. Thanks to Retiree the seeds for Paul's Pink Pride arrived today. Ta-Da!
Old April 19, 2019   #80
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
I'm still of the opinion that "Japanese Pink Cherry" is most likely just a further selection of Sweet Treats F1. Roger's Garden sold "Japanese Pink Cherry" a few years back , and they used the exact same stock picture of "Sweet Treats F1" that Sakata uses.

That's interesting. I followed the links and the pictures are no longer available.

However, if true, I found Sweet Treats F1 available at Fedco right now, for those who are interested.

Last edited by JosephineRose; April 19, 2019 at 03:03 PM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #81
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
That's interesting.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #82
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
That's interesting. I followed the links and the pictures are no longer available.

However, if true, I found Sweet Treats F1 available at Fedco right now, for those who are interested.
The first mention in the entirety of the internet of "Japanese Pink Cherry" (that I could find) is in 2011 on Tomatoville by DavidP. It was then mentioned in 2014 by patty_b. From what I can follow in old threads, ALittleSalt grew out in 2015 for the 2016 MMMM, and that seed came from patty_b originally.

I'm not sure where Steve Goto's list from Roger's Garden comes into the mix. That was published in 2016, but the "Japanese Pink Cherry" was grown out earlier by Steve in the summer of 2014 (mentioned in an LA times on Roger's Garden tomato tasting).

The other possibility by name is a smaller version of "Japanese Pink" listed by Delectation of Tomatoes (like Ron did with Carbon Copy), but this seems less likely since JP was listed in 2013.

If I remember correctly, Sweet Treats was released in 2009 or 2010 in Japan. It was available in the US in 2010. The timeline matches up better than JP.

This makes sense to me also because someone probably just labeled it for market with a different name than the breeder; either saving seed and bringing it back from Japan or picking up seed from grocery store pack in the US with a different name (like Mitsuwa). Example would be Santa's Sweet. This actually goes by another name domestically in Japan and Taiwan. The breeder doesn't even call it that when you do a direct translation from the native language.

Last edited by Scooty; April 19, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #83
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Maybe because people who are very poor can't afford to buy seeds and they are shared and traded free of charge, amongst neighbors and friends, as a source of food. If that is the case,and as poor as they are they refuse to try to profit from those who also need food, they would like to see that tradition respected. Pay it forward rather than make a profit from it.
Sue, I think you've got it right. Also, I misquoted. It is "in honor of the common people who grow them". They are not bought or sold in their native area. They are given or traded. It's the way folks have in the past distributed them, without charge.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #84
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

Magi Qo was a variety we got from heritage a few years ago. I emailed them and they sent me what was left, cannot find it for sale anywhere. Absolutely love growing this plant and eating the tomatoes off of it!

It performed great in our garden and we always set a few plants out.
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #85
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
Magi Qo was a variety we got from heritage a few years ago. I emailed them and they sent me what was left, cannot find it for sale anywhere. Absolutely love growing this plant and eating the tomatoes off of it!

It performed great in our garden and we always set a few plants out.
https://www.delectationoftomatoes.co...2/Magi_Qo.html ?
Old April 20, 2019   #86
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The first mention in the entirety of the internet of "Japanese Pink Cherry" (that I could find) is in 2011 on Tomatoville by DavidP. It was then mentioned in 2014 by patty_b. From what I can follow in old threads, ALittleSalt grew out in 2015 for the 2016 MMMM, and that seed came from patty_b originally.

I'm not sure where Steve Goto's list from Roger's Garden comes into the mix. That was published in 2016, but the "Japanese Pink Cherry" was grown out earlier by Steve in the summer of 2014 (mentioned in an LA times on Roger's Garden tomato tasting).

The other possibility by name is a smaller version of "Japanese Pink" listed by Delectation of Tomatoes (like Ron did with Carbon Copy), but this seems less likely since JP was listed in 2013.

If I remember correctly, Sweet Treats was released in 2009 or 2010 in Japan. It was available in the US in 2010. The timeline matches up better than JP.

This makes sense to me also because someone probably just labeled it for market with a different name than the breeder; either saving seed and bringing it back from Japan or picking up seed from grocery store pack in the US with a different name (like Mitsuwa). Example would be Santa's Sweet. This actually goes by another name domestically in Japan and Taiwan. The breeder doesn't even call it that when you do a direct translation from the native language.

My first knowledge of Japanese Pink Cherry was in late 2013, I think. Patty_B was a participant in the MMMM swap, and included a note that she was still searching for that elusive great tasting pink cherry. Along with sending her 100+ other cherry varieties, I specifically mentioned that JPC might be "the one". Most varieties in the swap, no matter what type of tomato, don't get labeled with adjectives describing their flavor. JPC did.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2019   #87
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My first knowledge of Japanese Pink Cherry was in late 2013, I think. Patty_B was a participant in the MMMM swap, and included a note that she was still searching for that elusive great tasting pink cherry. Along with sending her 100+ other cherry varieties, I specifically mentioned that JPC might be "the one". Most varieties in the swap, no matter what type of tomato, don't get labeled with adjectives describing their flavor. JPC did.
So you sent it to patty_b? Where did you get it from? I was only guessing based on the date; DavidP seemed the mostly probable original source.
Old April 21, 2019   #88
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Schule1, you hopefully won't ever see the Spanish hanging tomato seeds for sale. The original source of them asked that they never be sold, "in honor of the poor people" with whom the seeds originated. They can be traded; Check your PM box.
Seed of a few varieties of Spanish hanging tomatoes are buyable. There are about 1000 varieties of these in Spain.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #89
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So you sent it to patty_b? Where did you get it from? I was only guessing based on the date; DavidP seemed the mostly probable original source.

I only know I received it from a participant in the swap. One single pack, that I set aside for Patty because of her specific request. There can be 500+ cherry varieties, in a single year, coming into the MMMM. There's no way for me to keep track of them all in my head, as I generally don't write things down.

It'll have to be a part of the Mystery in the MMMM, unless the donor comes forward.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #90
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I only know I received it from a participant in the swap. One single pack, that I set aside for Patty because of her specific request. There can be 500+ cherry varieties, in a single year, coming into the MMMM. There's no way for me to keep track of them all in my head, as I generally don't write things down.

It'll have to be a part of the Mystery in the MMMM, unless the donor comes forward.
Interesting. Well we've narrowed it down at least - the most likely origin of the "Japanese Pink Cherry" still seems to be a TV member.

Whoever sent it in to the MMMM in 2013, still predates almost everyone else who has used the name - sans DavidP. Somewhere along the way from DavidP in 2011 it seemed to have traveled to (most likely in trades) to this mystery donor.