Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 4, 2019   #16
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I had composted horsemanure some years back dumped on the garden beds, these days I get the stuff in pellet form from a bag. much more convenient and easy to distribute in containers.
Makes tomatoes grow well and taste good too. Too much of course is too much, better to use small doses at first and add more later..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2019   #17
rockman
Tomatovillian™

So far my corn and beans I planted straight in the manure are 3" and look good ,especially the corn as it likes the nitrogen. The are in our southern window. I usually buy plants, but I'll search for some tomato seeds in the compost and ad them to my corn and beans. rockman
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2019   #18
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman View Post
I have access to manure. The bedding comes in bags from tractor supply. They are small wood pellets that dissolve in liquid. They are fed high protein bagged feed and hay. Hopefully not too many weeds! Iv'e been collecting the manure since fall. Turning it with a pitch fork. Would it be ready this spring, and any plants I should avoid? I'm the one who believes a little does but a lot does better! thanks, rockman

How old is it? If it is a year old it would be fine. Collecting it fresh and composting since last fall...probably okay to go. I have gotten from three places around here and had no problems with any of it. I did trade some canned tomato sauces, rhubarb jelly, maybe some pear sauce or butter to the lady that filled my 8ft truck bed three times with nice year plus old when I made 50x4ft of raised beds. And if she came by this summer I would give her some more. She even swapped an equal number of empty jars back when I got the last load.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019   #19
rockman
Tomatovillian™

Iv'e been turning, but won't be yr. old till Sept. Never had Rhubarb jelly. Usually takes one or two stalks to get me through my yard mowing.
Old April 11, 2019   #20
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I don't eat it raw, but a lot of rhubarb gets frozen for later cooking.
Mom's Rhubarb Jam
8c rhubarb, 5c sugar, let stand 2 hrs or overnight.
add 2 cans of crushed pineapple (drained) and cook for 10 minutes
add 2 boxes strawberry jello, stir until dissolved
pour into hot jars
My mom has always froze the jars; I've been thinking about canning some, but haven't really looked into it. It does keep for years in the freezer when it gets lost. My mom calls it a Jam but we kids always preferred her "rhubarb jelly" to any store bought "grape jelly" for peanut butter and jelly.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019   #21
rockman
Tomatovillian™

Rhubarb is 6"tall now, we will try your Mom's recipe Thanks, Dick
Old July 20, 2019   #22
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Horse manure is my main garden additive, along with goat,chicken,weeds and leaves. Oh, and pine straw.
I use my own and my hay guy refuses to use any Tordon or grazon. I’ve not had any problems but I would do the bean test to make sure.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2020   #23
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I have done it a few times but you will get lots of weeds,now I use straw and today used my grass clippings.With those I know there is not weed killer and just grass,I threw in some alfalfa pellets in it to help it break down.Left it above the soil and away from the plants just in between the rows of tomato plants.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2020   #24
Carol7402
Tomatovillian™

We have amended our garden soil with aged horse manure every year for decades. 2-3 inches on top of every bed when we put the garden to bed for winter And then tilled in - that next spring. We have the most beautiful loamy soil and never had a ton of trouble with weeds or the need to add artificial fertilizers. We do the initial intense hand weeding after the crops are in and after that the weeds are very minimal.
Carol7402 is offline   Reply With Quote