Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 9, 2016   #1

Default Suggestions for best tasting yellow tomato

Hi,

I usually grow Snow White tomatoes which are a large cherry. Some people love it and some think it's just ok. It's a low acid and very mild cherry. It has some sweetness for sure but it's just not that interesting and I think I could do better in my limited space. I do like to grow a yellow as it looks nice with all the other colors I grow.

I am open to any size as long as it is yellow. What are some of your favorites? Thank you in advance.

Old October 10, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

With a long season, yellow brandywine is old school and has an amazing flavour. A benchmark to compare others to
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

A lot of people recommended Azoychka to me last year when I was looking for a yellow, but the seeds I received in the Swap had zero germination. I have to wait until next year to see if it lives up to it's reputation.

One that's more gold than yellow, but is absolutely amazing, is Aunt Gertie's Gold. It needs a long season otherwise it would be on my Grow Every Year list.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Azoychka Lemon boy and Galina's

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #5
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have tried quite a few yellow tomatoes, Yellow Brandywine is hard to beat. KBX is good too.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #6
charline
Tomatovillian™

for a cherry sized tomato I recommend Sweet Beverly and Sweet Sharon (this one is more pale yellow). both are multiflora and very productive.

for a big size I love Tasmanian blushing yellow. Not only sweet but slightly tartish, very refreshing

this season I tried Jantar which also is very good
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Azoychka is great in hot summers. A bit mushy when it's too rainy.
Orange Strawberry is another lovely one, very sweet.. orange instead of pale yellow.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #8
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Galinas (grow it every year) and Azoychka.
For a large orange, Orange Jazz impressed me this year. Very tasty and productive. Only flaw was a slightly hard core.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #9
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

Dagma's Perfection is my favorite but was not as successful this last season. But I grow it every year. I also love Cherokee Yellow which produces well and long. I have also grown Azoychka and recommend it. Pineapple Pig is a wonderful newer one. Blush is a super bicolor yellow with red blush smaller one. Incredibly prolific and sweet. We love it oven dried - like candy! Others to consider are Lillian's Yellow Heirloom (large beef, some consider better than Brandywine), Manyel (blemish free), Trees Bottom Yellow (beefsteak, meaty, balanced flavor).
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #10
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

If orange is qualified, I'll go with Jaune Flamme.

Otherwise, I like Lemon Drop cherry.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Of course there are also wonderfully tasting dwarf varieties, as Summertime Gold. Complex flavor and beautiful to look at! (thanks to the generous soul who gave me seeds for this one..!)
Zolotoe Korol is also a delicious yellow, heart-shaped and compact.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #12
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I grew this year, these yellow (orange) beefsteak tomatoes: KBX, Orange Strawberry, Orange Russian 117 (these three I grow every year) and three new Golden Jubilee, Goldie and Amana Orange. If I had to recommend one variety, so for me the tastiest Russian Orange 117. Then follow the KBX and Orange Strawberry. These three I will grow again next year, but which of the three new I will cultivate myself do not know yet.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoldJubilee+AmandaOr+Goldie+OrStraw.JPG (78.0 KB, 486 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #13
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I have thought about Galina's. What kind of size do you get on those cherries? I am not a fan if they are really tiny.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #14
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Another good "yellow" variety is "Jim Dandy" I required seeds from Materman several years ago and it is the only yellow tomato I grow. Very productive and minimal disease problems...at least here in our humid/south FL winters. I have seeds if anyone is interested.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sladkij Ponchik was a great yellow for me this year. They are firm and store well, but still taste good. For a compact determinate, I like Sol Gold. For a dwarf, I like Summertime Gold. KBX, Orange Jazz, and Juan Flamme are all taste winners. The dwarf variety Uluru Ochre was great, too, with an unusual zing for an orange tomato on top of the sweetness.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote