Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 15, 2014   #16
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I do have seeds of that pulled out, Fred Hemple had mentioned that they were selling it green as Cetriolo tomatoes and my main restaurant customer is an Italian one that likes doing interesting dishes.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...speckled roman

I don't think it's going to suffer from the same issues as the larger slicers, and especially not if they do want to use them green.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As a chef which I am not I can't imagine not wanting to go a step beyond the rest in food.
If a person was to turn their nose up at a strange looking tomato then they dont need to be eating there.
They need to go to a fast food joint.
Of all of the tomatoes with great taste I have grown people go gaga over the pretty ones regardless of the taste.

People eat with their eyes as much as taste and a good chef knows that.

I have had about a million people tell me I should open up a restaurant.
My answer is sure and take the fun out of cooking and go broke.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 15, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014   #18
moon1234
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena View Post
I am curious if the Heirloom cherries do well with Chefs? I am looking at cherries because they always do so well went nothing else is fruit setting (when the humidity starts clumping the pollen) It will also extend the season when the slicers are gone. I know they are a pain to pick.
What do you charge a Chef for a pint? or pound?
Are they popular?
THANKS in Advance
Rena
Most chef's that I sell to could care less is they are heirlooms or not. They want quality, taste and RELIABILITY. That usually means heirlooms are a treat and not something to base your business on. Heirlooms are more of a consumer thing at farmer's markets and CSAs.

We get $1.75/lb for our cherry/grape tomatoes. Usually sell a few hundred lbs a week to each chef and deliver two to three times per week. Remember they are running a business and most will be unwilling to pay much more than they pay to the institutional supplier (Sysco in our neck of the woods).

These prices are fine with us. They are still much better than wholesale.
moon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote