Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 21, 2009   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default GWRxBlack What to expect?

I did some growouts (200 seeds) to look at cross pollination rates for Lime Green Salad, and I pulled/transplanted what I think are hybrids. The most likely candidates for Daddies are one of three blacks (Black Krim, Paul Robeson, Black Prince) or a red (Zarnitza). I'm just going to grow for one-two fruits in a small pot for F1 seed that I can grow out this summer (for dwarfs) so I won't get a good look at the F1 plants/fruit. How can I tell if the pollen parent was one of the blacks? Will the Black (retained chlorophyll) come through or will all of the F1 fruits be red?
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2009   #2
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing. I ordered a plant this year that is a stable cross between Aunt Ruby's GG and Paul Robeson and the ripe fruit in the picture appears to be both black and green.

I wonder at what generation of growing out seeds does one get this color?