Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 16, 2015   #1
isuhunter
Tomatovillian™

Default Storing tomatoes short term

I am "collecting" my tomatoes to make a big batch of salsa and juice. How does everyone store them "short term" until they process them?

Fridge? currently I just place them in grocery sacks in the fridge. It fills up the fridge very quickly!
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I store tomatoes a single layer deep on a table.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I keep mine upside down in a single layer in flats or boxes in a cool room. Refrigeration really affects the flavour

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #4
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I read somewhere that storing them fridge ruins the flavor.I put mine in a bowl and leave them on the kitchen table.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have a 3 x 8' bar that we keep our tomatoes on. I understand the reason behind saving them in a single layer depth. I agree with that reason, but I often pile then on top of each other. I put them in a semi-open sided container. Keep air flow going by adding a cheap fan. I think you'll find that keeping tomatoes and other garden fruit/vegetables will last a lot longer and not lose flavor. Air flow is very important.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

There appears to be a reasonably wide window of ripeness which is acceptable, particularity for processing. I like them quite ripe for this use. This means leaving them on the vine until required.

For table slicing there seems to be an ideal time to pick which is subjective. I prefer mine not too ripe.

But all said and done my procedure is to leave on the vine until required for the table or processing. Obviously this means having your own garden to put fully into effect.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #7
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

If it's for juice I think fridge is fine. There will be a lot of processes when boiling that will 'affect the flavour' in a similar way. Many of the volatiles expected from a fresh tomato will not be there after boiling. Better a fridged tomato than no tomato at all. Also, the tomatoes keep better on the vine (if there are no splitting conditions or things eating them of course) than even in a cool house (tested by me).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

If I'm saving tomatoes to be cooked, I put them in the freezer, then I skin them and leave them out to thaw. This eliminates a lot of the liquid and means they take less time to boil down.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #9
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

If you are concerned with preserving the quality of your tomato flavor, you should consider making multiple small batches of salsa when the tomatoes are "just right" instead of trying to string out fruit that is getting too ripe for the sake of one big batch.

You must keep in mind that the tomatoes and all other ingredients in salsa will continue to degrade regardless of whether they are in the salsa or sitting on a counter, so your salsa's useful life will be shorter if you use very ripe fruit.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2015   #10
isuhunter
Tomatovillian™

thanks for all the input!

I'll set up some tables in the basement and lay them out
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote