Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 11, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Spring Garden Off And Running

And so it begins! The 2019 garden is under way. I just seeded the coles.

Aspabroc - Two 6-packs. This is the first time for me for aspabroc. A friend asked about it and so I'm growing 6 for her and 6 for me to trial.

Broccoli, 'Packman' - the first of three 4-packs. Two more later at ten day intervals each. The fall stagger worked out well, eliminating the avalanche of 12 broccoli heads all ready about the same time. Broccoli doesn't freeze well for me so this is for fresh eating. Packman also makes a bunch of side shoots after the head's cut.

Cabbage, 'Stonehead' - Four of these now and four Charleston Wakefield in ten days. Eight cabbages will work fine for fresh eating, kraut and kimchi.

Cauliflower, 'Amazing' - The first of two 4-packs; one more in ten days. I swore up and down I wouldn't try any more cauliflower. However I've heard good things about this one here in T'ville so I'll try these spring ones and eight more in the fall. Last card, down and dirty!

Collards, 'Vates' - Four plants. It's a gracious plenty for two people, especially with kale growing too.

Kale, 'Premier' - Four plants. Yes, one can have too many greens going. At least I can!

Scallions, 'Shimonita' - One undivided pack. Sown on the 5th and popped up on the 9th. Still waiting for the Warrior scallions to stop circulating around the Atlanta postal distribution center and land in my mailbox. In reality, it might not be a bad thing to have the scallions staggered too.

Another experiment: These will all be grown on the nematode infested side of the garden. Estimated plant out will happen Feb 12. The soil temp should still be cold enough (under 65) that the 'todes will be inactive. Hopefully by the time they start to wake up, these plants will be at or near maturity and won't be affected as much.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Good luck to you on all that!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #3
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

^^You GoDawgs!^^ How's the knee?

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

It's a lot better. Last week my sister and I went to a local cemetery on a quest to find and photograph some headstones for a Find A Grave request. It was a smallish 300 stone cemetery but after we walked the whole thing my knee said it had had enough.
I weeded the scallion row a few days ago and after going down the 18' row with knees half bent, I was ready to stop. Better than not finishing the row! So it's getting there. Spring's coming and it has to get into garden shape whether it likes it or not.
Old January 13, 2019   #5
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

That's great to hear! My knees ache at just the thought of keeping up with all that garden you have...

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #6
PlainJane

I’m especially eager to hear how the timing of your planting circumvents the nematodes.
Old January 15, 2019   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Jane, I did more research Sunday and found more info on using molasses against nematodes. More on that in a separate post.
Old January 15, 2019   #8
MdTNGrdner

Way to try again, on the cauliflower! Let us know how it does for you.
Old January 15, 2019   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Way to try again, on the cauliflower! Let us know how it does for you.
This spring and this fall are *absolutely* the last efforts, I tell ya! I'm doing both seasons in case it's particular about the climate.
Old January 15, 2019   #10
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Jane, I did more research Sunday and found more info on using molasses against nematodes. More on that in a separate post.
Excellent, looking forward to that.