Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 24, 2006   #1
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Default Riesentraube-Trouble with Germination?

This is one of the varieties I am growing for the first time. I have had poor germination (25%), and am considering starting more. The other varieties started at the same time, with same methods, are at 90-100%. The seed was bought from a mail order company, and the other seed I received from them seems to be fine. Has anyone else experienced poor germ. with Riesentraube, or do I just have a bad batch?
Old March 24, 2006   #2
MikeH
Tomatovillian™

I've never had any trouble with the variety.The last 2 years has been in the 80-90% germination range from my saved seed.

Maybe some very old seed?I can't see a seed company doing that,but maybe
Old March 24, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think you must have a bad batch as long as all your other varieties are doing fine. Whether it's older seed or a fermentation gone bad, which can happen, they should not be giving you a difficult time.

I've been growing Riesentraube since the second year that Curtis Choplin reintroduced it to the US in the SSE Yearbook and I'd have to check but that was in the early 90's I think, via seeds he got from Prof Klaprott at Gatersleben, and I've not once had problems germinating it.
Old March 25, 2006   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Mike & Carolyn - I'm starting more today!
Old March 25, 2006   #5
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I started just a few seeds this year from seeds that were 4 years old and got 75% germination.
Old March 26, 2006   #6
melody
Tomatovillian™

I started seeds this year to replinish old stock...my old seeds were from 2001. They were a bit slower than the fresh seeds I sowed of other varieties at the same time...but are going gangbusters now with nearly 100% germination. My fresh seeds were about 4 to 6 days on average...the old Riesentraube didn't start to show for just over a week..(I didn't soak them)

These were from my own saved seed, so I know that seed harvest and prep were consistant with what I usually do.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2006   #7
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I just got 100% germination within 5 days on my Riesentraube seeds from TGSC. This was my first time growing it too but so far so good.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote