Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 28, 2018   #46
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Good afternoon, it has made me a little sad about the issue of germination, it is not a coincidence, it has happened to many people. Maybe the drying was not the right one, and I apologize. The seeds were all fresh in season.
The seeds that Mr. Baikal has sent are all mine and therefore the error is mine.
I ferment them in the tomato broth for about 7 days and then dry the seeds very well on paper and pack them. Until today I have done quite well in that way or form.
I do not understand what went wrong.
For anyone who has been sent seeds with germination problems do not doubt that next season I will send everyone for nothing.
It is a pleasure
Again, forgive everyone.
Nico

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #47
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Nicolas, I think you did well with your seeds. I do not think you did anything wrong. You are getting good germination. That means you fermented them well.

In the US, we are getting less germination. That means the postal service did something wrong. Sometimes they use x-rays on our mail. It makes the germination less. It is the post office in the US, not you.

We are all very grateful to you for your seeds.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #48
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much Nan_PA_6b, but all the seeds sent to me from tville have all germinated very well ... I just want to know where the fault is in case it is my fault I can correct it for the next season.
Thank you

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #49
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Your photos are wonderful and I like how you have them all labeled so nicely. I would also like to thank you for sharing the information on the ramallet tomatoes. This is something that we all know of over here but do not normally try. I think that many members of the forum would like to try this. It sounds fun and a great way to have tomatoes during the winter months

I ferment my tomato seeds for 4-5 days depending on the temperature. The hotter it is the less time I ferment them. I have had very good germination with my seeds. Perhaps you should try fermenting them for a little less longer this season. Of course, it could also be blamed on the postal service but until you experiment a little you will never know.
Old May 28, 2018   #50
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The videos are awesome, makes me want to visit those places and see for myself!
Your generous gift of seeds to me is very much appreciated. I only had room this year to try two of them, It was a hard choice but I selected Mansilla de las Mulas and ramalett Santa Maria both plants are beautifully strong and robust, the seeds germinated fine as far as I recall, I did not notice an issue.
Planted seed March 23. Thank you for the chance to grow them, I am looking forward to tasting them and saving seeds and then growing out a few more next year.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2064461B-C081-4933-9627-4424630E7334.jpg (633.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 5F7C1131-7F2C-41DC-A7DC-2A883FA3E66B.jpg (548.8 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by KarenO; May 28, 2018 at 12:51 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #51
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Nico, I have not tried your seeds, nor those from Mr.. Baikal. Mine came from a member in the USA, that got his seeds from ILex, so yours were not involved.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #52
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post

I ferment my tomato seeds for 4-5 days depending on the temperature. The hotter it is the less time I ferment them. I have had very good germination with my seeds. Perhaps you should try fermenting them for a little less longer this season. Of course, it could also be blamed on the postal service but until you experiment a little you will never know.
This is my suggestion too. Ferment for less days. But again, I have not tried your seeds, they might be fine.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #53
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
That means the postal service did something wrong. Sometimes they use x-rays on our mail. It makes the germination less.

Respectfully, that's a myth that continues to be perpetuated without any scientific basis (like "rocks in the bottom of a container aids in drainage" - they don't). In fact, the scientific papers show a statistically insignificant difference in germination between those seeds receiving x-rays and those that do not.

Additionally, pretty much all seed companies (and this started in the 1950s) and the largest seed banks use x-rays to sort the viable seeds from the non-viable ones. In both cases, they wouldn't spend the time and money to do this if it reduced viability.

Problems with seed germination after receiving them in the mail are most likely to be due to mechanical damage (crushing from the sorting machines).
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #54
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much everyone, it is always good to continue learning from your advice.
Karen, your photos are beautiful, I think that mansilla de las mulas will surprise you with its flavor
regards

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #55
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

MissS leased to share with you all experiences and concerns, for me it is a pleasure.
Koala Doug: Thank you very much, I read your messages carefully

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #56
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

MissS Sorry Miss I think my translator has not been the right one, I hope you understand me.

Nico.
Old May 28, 2018   #57
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

What is very important for storage tomatoes is irrigation, remember that it is a rain-fed plant, more or less irrigating half of a normal tomato.
You have to try to collect the tomatoes from the plant when the soil is not wet from the water and especially pick them up as they begin to catch color.
In a normal fruit bowl they can last three months perfectly without hanging

Nico.
Old May 29, 2018   #58
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Finally, here at Tomatoville someone gave something interesting and inspiring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNi903undIE
This video is an inspiration for me. I will certainly do something like this. I just need to have enough quality Ramallets for storage.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #59
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Mr. Vladimír, do not hesitate to ask me everything you want, that I am delighted to be able to help you

Nico.
Old May 30, 2018   #60
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone, I send some photos of a very rare multiflora tomato plant for me.
I was sent by a tomatoville companion and he told me that it was multiflora and very pretty, that he does not know its origin, and he named it smfl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-05-30_14-14-37-817.jpg (357.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-05-30_14-15-27-046.jpg (380.2 KB, 44 views)

Nico.