Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 22, 2017   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

Although I'll be first in line to buy some for medicinal purposes, I doubt I would use enough of it to justify growing it for my use. I will probably end up growing a plant or two just from curiosity about how it grows, and end up with a lifetime supply. Although the other up side of growing your own, it is the only way to have 100% certainty about what went into or got sprayed onto it.
I'll be interested to see how the market develops over the longer term. Will there eventually be a niche for high quality local/specialty bud on a small scale, a la 'craft brewery' style. If so, and if it was easy enough to grow organically, I might consider being involved in the industry. But that is a far way away from where I am now.
And I may have been too one-sided about the deal with Canopy Growth, because no one else here is anywhere close to having the ability to supply. At least the govt has ensured there will be product available from a reputable source. (Just why do we always sell out the future on these crazy deals)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here's a local news article about the Canopy deal.
http://vocm.com/news/canopy-deal-wil...rowth-premier/

I guess we'll find out whether MJ is a crop that does well enough in our low light and cool conditions to be an export! Bottom line, if you must input heat and light artificially, your margin is going down. But we shall see.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2017   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you grow it you will get hooked on it because you will find out how amazing it is to mess with crosses and so on.
Like if you get a hermaphrodite plant that has male and female flowers.
If it has more female and just a few male the pollen will be almost 100% female pollen.
Use this pollen to pollinate the flowers on another type plant and you get almost all female plants instead of the usual 50/50 male female.
It is also very easy to clone and you can make it bloom anytime you want.
This isn't just what I read but in another life on another planet far far away from here many many years ago.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote