Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2018   #46
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I don't think that I could grow just one,but if you make me than it would have to be GGWT
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #47
alwysluv2
Tomatovillian™

For me personally, it would depend on the day of the week you asked me as my choice would continuously change. LOL I just love tomatoes!

For my daughter though, no matter what new awesome variety I introduce her to that I'm sure she'll love, she always insists on having at least one Sunsugar in the garden. Nothing, not even Sungold comes close for her.
alwysluv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #48
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

another Hillbilly fan here....Estlers ML a close second
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #49
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Small Mallorquin tomato, storage tomato (ramallet) to be able to eat my own tomato all year round

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #50
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Only 49 to go...Tormato!......lol
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #51
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple for sure!! Just wish production was better. Tried I.S.P.L. last year and got similar results.
Shannon's is a close second for true tomato flavor and use.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2018   #52
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

Same general caveat: "only one?"

But, if only one, it would probably be "Estiva" a mid-season hybrid from Johnny's Seeds (and as far as I know, only from Johnny's Seeds)

I have grown Estiva for probably 15 years (or longer) and it has never failed me. And that is what gives it the nod. Eating matters, and as long as I have at least one Estiva in the garden, I will never have a summer without lots of fresh, tasty tomatoes. It has never not delivered a bunch of tasty clumps of nice-sized tomatoes that are great off the plant, sliced for a sandwich, or chopped for a basil marinade or salsa.

Estiva is a medium-sized mid-season tomato (for me, it is a little after Early Girl and a little ahead of Big Beef). If I jump the season a little on the starting end, I can start picking nice clusters of Estivas by mid-July, weather gods permitting.

I garden in North Dakota. I have learned that what matters most for a getting a tasty tomato is not variety but growing one that fits the sweet spot of your season. And if a North Dakota tomato matures its fruit in the dry heat and long days that mark late July and early August up here, it will develop peak flavor. If the fruit doesn't ripen until September, the taste is only half of what it could have been (even if the mid-days are still warm, the sunlight is getting short and the nights are getting cool).

Last edited by PaulTandberg; March 9, 2018 at 02:04 AM.
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #53
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTandberg View Post
Same general caveat: "only one?"

But, if only one, it would probably be "Estiva" a mid-season hybrid from Johnny's Seeds (and as far as I know, only from Johnny's Seeds)

I have grown Estiva for probably 15 years (or longer) and it has never failed me. And that is what gives it the nod. Eating matters, and as long as I have at least one Estiva in the garden, I will never have a summer without lots of fresh, tasty tomatoes. It has never not delivered a bunch of tasty clumps of nice-sized tomatoes that are great off the plant, sliced for a sandwich, or chopped for a basil marinade or salsa.

Estiva is a medium-sized mid-season tomato (for me, it is a little after Early Girl and a little ahead of Big Beef). If I jump the season a little on the starting end, I can start picking nice clusters of Estivas by mid-July, weather gods permitting.

I garden in North Dakota. I have learned that what matters most for a getting a tasty tomato is not variety but growing one that fits the sweet spot of your season. And if a North Dakota tomato matures its fruit in the dry heat and long days that mark late July and early August up here, it will develop peak flavor. If the fruit doesn't ripen until September, the taste is only half of what it could have been (even if the mid-days are still warm, the sunlight is getting short and the nights are getting cool).
Friend PaulTandberg your message has made me reflect ..... perhaps we do not let nature act by itself, and we want to advance our production by forcing nature with lamps and others to be able to advance the growth of the tomato ... and we do not make the most of our plants and tomatoes

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #54
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

I'm a Brandy Boy fan myself. I love Brandywines, and, yes, I can tell a difference, but it is ever so slight, and Brandy Boy is much more productive, and held up longer than my Brandywine plants when the late blight went crazy in our community garden last August.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #55
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

For now, I'll say Glovel, but ask me again in September.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #56
mekrebs
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato San Marzano Redorta

http://www.growitalian.com/tomato-sa...edorta-106-94/

Excerpt:
San Marzano Redorta. Franchi Special Selection. Named for a mountain in the Alps, this is a very large (10-12 ounce) San Marzano type plum tomato. Indeterminate. Large, vigorous plant. This has real tomato flavor and is good to eat fresh, make sauce, can or dry. Approx. 150 seeds. 80 days.

I love this tomato for canning salsa or for fresh slicing. It excels at both.

mekrebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #57
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
For now, I'll say Glovel, but ask me again in September.
Pls tell us more .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #58
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I had high hopes for Redorta and I took care of her...but she didn't do well for me.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #59
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I would fill the raised bed with Cherokee Purple. If I had only one plant then it would be Better Boy just so I could get some yield
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #60
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
I would fill the raised bed with Cherokee Purple. If I had only one plant then it would be Better Boy just so I could get some yield
Ozone, suggest you try Margaret Curtain! She's much more productive than Cherokee Purple .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote