Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2012   #211
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Craig, thanks for pointing me to this great mater place.

I'm a willing grower, thats for sure. I just wish I didn't have to wait till later this year.
8 ~ (

Jan
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #212
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Well, if you want to join as a southern hemisphere grower, we will have tons of options for you! Time to join the project!
Old June 2, 2012   #213
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

For 2012 I planted a number of the released Dwarf Varieties. My favs are Dwarf Mr. Snow - Excellent taste & good yield. Summertime Gold - excellent taste and a strong plant. Dwarf Emerald Green - best GWR I have experienced. Downer was Dwarf Wild Fred. It died a sudden death at about 18"h- either bacterial wilt or too much fertilizer.

I'll be starting some fall plants soon and all will be from the project except SunGold and some of its sisters. Hope there are some large red dwarfs soon.

MikeInCypress
Old June 4, 2012   #214
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Mike - from the existing lines, Brawny and Grizzly should lead to large reds - and the new Dwarf Stone X german Red strawberry cross should as well - I am growing the F1 this year. You might want to jump in and try out some of the F2s next year?
Old June 20, 2012   #215
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

deleted my question. I'm going to purchase the dwarf seeds that are available so I can start my seeds now, as our growing season here is about to start. Thanks anyway.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by meadowyck; June 20, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: to delete my message
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2012   #216
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey Jan - here's the scoop - we have so much being grown out right now that I think if yocu can start some seeds later on the fall where you are, you can help us further the wonderful things (see I am an optimist!) that will soon ripen.....hence it seemed as though your geography better suited the SH timing. What do you think? You can be a kid in a candy shop and check out all of the results that will soon come in - in a way, you can "practice" on the ones released (become familiar with the growth habit, see how they do where you are), and then be all ready to take on something great in the next round of selection and stabilization. Thoughts?
Old August 4, 2012   #217
kelmund
Tomatovillian™

Hi all,
may i ask which dwarf cultivar(s) will suit Singapore's tropical climate?
I tried growing beefsteak varietals with no success. Thanks for any help

Kel
kelmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #218
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Teeny Tasmanian Chocolate

I have one Tasmanian Chocolate plant that is pumping out lots of small mini beefsteak-sized tomatoes! They are averaging between 1.5-2.0 oz. Here's a photo. They are wonderfully sweet and I'm giving them an 8.0 to 8.5/10. Yum! The plant is 33" tall and just covered in tomatoes. It doesn't seem to mind the heat, and once it started ripening fruit, it seems that there is always something ripening out there.

This is my third dwarf (the others being Chocolate Lightning F4 and Tidy F4) that are producing fruit that is much smaller than expected. Could it be environmental? All three plants are in the same bed, and were started out in Walls O'Water in mid-April.

Robin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tasmanian-smalls.jpg (240.0 KB, 93 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #219
dice
Tomatovillian™

Were any of the dwarf project varieties grown out in the northernmost
parts of Australia? I would think that would be fairly close to the
climate of Singapore.
Old August 17, 2012   #220
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

All thirteen varieties doing well, but my wife and I have become BIG fans of Iditarod Red. These are not being shared with anyone...
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #221
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default Rosella Purple

I grew 6 plants this year, all at my son's house, saving my space for project plants. In doing so I did not have daily access to the plants. I got one or 2 early ones and saved seed a few weeks ago. I was there today and they are almost done, the heat did not allow for much new fruit set. The first ones I ate and saved seed from (possibly not fully ripe in my haste) did not really seem that special, good, very good? I picked 3 today to save more seed from and was FRICKIN BLOWN AWAY BY THE FLAVOR !!!!!!!! Congrats to all involved with this one. A lesson re-learned, the 1st tomato off a plant may not measure up to those later on.
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #222
koshki
Tomatovillian™

A corollary to your lesson is that the first fruits might be best suited for making seeds!
Old August 23, 2012   #223
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Katherine, yes that is the case, as I have learned from Craig and others here, save seed from the early ones, less insect cross pollination, but not from the big fused tomatoes, cause they have mega yellow blooms that have a stronger attraction for insects. I had saved from a couple rosellas already, and if these had not tasted sooo good I probably would not have saved more. Even after scraping out the gel and seeds, the flesh that was left had incredible flavor. That is the true test of a really fine tomato.

Last edited by kenny_j; August 23, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add
Old August 23, 2012   #224
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Tasted the first Iditarod Red and Perth Prides tonight. Really liked the IR, but the PP was less impressive. I have a few more ripening so I'll give it another chance. I have two Yukon Quest almost ready to go under the knife.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2012   #225
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default Now I don't know what to think!!!

Got 2 more fruit off the Rosella P. , one was so-so, the other sour with no sweetness at all. I saved seed from the last one that I thought was superb, and have them drying. About 30 seeds or so. I did not keep track of which fruit came from which plant on these, they are in a garden a half hour away, and I just grab a few when I happen out that way. Is it just me? Or is R.P. not quite stable in the flavor department? Or is it environmental? At a loss here. Fortunately I always taste before saving seed, and never save from a tomato that does not taste to par. The good ones are a delight, save seeds and the meat that is left is still scrumptious!!