Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 18, 2009   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default Actinovate vs. MycoGrow vs. Nothing - - Update Feb 18 (pics)

The Snow Peas in the 'Tainer treated with Actinovate (far left) continue to outproduce the Myco-Grow 'Tainer (center) and have far outgrown, and have a much higher yield than the untreated 'Tainer (far right):

I just received a new pack of Actinovate and I am somewhat confused. While the Active Ingredient is listed as the same on both packs (Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108), the text messaging is significantly different. Does anyone know the difference between the two Actinovate packs?

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #2
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

rnewste - where do you order the Actinovate? How much is it?
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

stormy,

I purchase mine from a Company called "Worm's Way" located in Ohio, via their website. I paid about $20.00 for the 2 oz package, but the darn shipping charge was $10.00.

This is a case if you can find it locally, you will save the shipping! So far, I am very happy with the product.

Ray
Old February 19, 2009   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Stormy, these folks carry it and they be in your neighborhood. Ami

https://fifthseasongardening.com/cat...64236&x=7&y=10
Old February 19, 2009   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Appreciate you helping out Stormy with a local source in NC.

Do you have any insight into the difference between the "sp" version and their current product?

Ray
Old February 19, 2009   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, looks like they gave their package a face lift, nothing more. Maybe they are going to market it more in retail stores.
I have some on order from 5th Season gardening and will see what my packaging looks like. Ami
Old February 25, 2009   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I sent an e-mail to Natural Industries Director of Marketing Boomer Cardinale concerning ray's question on packaging and gave him a link to this thread. Got an answer today that he had joined Tomatoville and as soon as he can post he will respond. So if that happens get your questions on Actinovate ready. Ami
Old February 25, 2009   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Good morning Ami,

I didn't take a picture today - - will do so in another week interval to post here, but when I try to find that largest pea pod on the Actinovate plants, vs the untreated plants the Actinovate pods are noticeably longer. I know this is not a scientific analysis, but I continue to be favorably impressed with Actinovate's impact on Oregon Snow Peas.

This may (or may not) translate to tomato production and vigor of the plants - - but that will be an interesting experiment in the 'Tainers this 2009 season.

Ray
Old February 25, 2009   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Good morning Ray, have to go to snow country this morning (Donnersberg) as we have maintenance due on one of the radio's. Received my Actinovate I ordered yesterday and it is in the traditional package and also a 50 plug set "Root Riot". Will be planting in about 2 weeks. Ami
Old February 26, 2009   #10
boomtown
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone. The Actinovate microorganisms that we produce here at Natural Industries are the same exact formulations that growers use in horticulture, agriculture, turf management and in home gardens. The new packaging is just an update for our Lawn & Garden. Actinovate SP (the orange label) is the same formulation as the new blue label.

As we slowly develop our distribution channels in retail, you will see Actinovate for Lawn & Garden more widely available. In the meantime, I'm building a lawn & garden section on our website that will eventually list all of the places you can buy Actinovate and our other organic products.

Also, we love testimonials! Send me photos and quotes and I will post on our site. Thanks for using Actinovate and I look forward from hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Boomer Cardinale
Marketing Director
Natural Industries
boomtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hi Boomer,

Welcome to the Tomatoville Forum!!

Yes, right now, it is extremely difficult to find Actinovate locally. I'm in California, and the only place I could find it when I did a Web search was WormsWay in Ohio. $20.00 for the 2 ounce product - - but $10.00 for shipping!!

I am hoping you get more national distribution through nursery centers, hydro shops and other local retail outlets.

Can you tell us a little bit about how Actinovate actually works? What's the "science" behind the product?

As you can see from a photo taken Feb 25 with the Actinovate treated container on the left, Myco-Grow in the center, and no additives in the far right 'Tainer, I am convinced that Actinovate works quite well.

Ray
Old February 26, 2009   #12
boomtown
Tomatovillian™

Here's my non-technical answer about the science behind our Actinovate product: Like the Myco product, when you add Actinovate to your plant, you are adding beneficial microorganisms that the plant uses to stay healthy. There are two main uses for this product: prevention and stopping of plant diseases.

As a preventative, you drench the soil with Actinovate + water and the microorganism will go and protect your plant's root system. Our product actually forms a shield around the roots to fend off all of the bad microbes that is in everyone's soil. In addition to protecting the roots, Actinovate will also eat the microbes and then spit it back out into the soil as beneficial nutrients. The result is a healthier and stronger plant.

As a disease fighter, you attack the disease where you see it. If your leaves come down with botrytis, powdery mildew or numerous other fungi, you simply spray the leaves and Actinovate will go to town on the bad fungi.

We have a tomato tech sheet for our commercial growers on our Actinovate AG page here.

As always, please read the instructions carefully before applying!

If you really want to see your plants grow, you may want to consider Actino-Iron which is our other organic fungicide product that has Actinovate plus non-synthetic iron. It does not burn plants and it will help reduce your fertilizer costs as well.

Where To Buy
We're still working on California as our distribution channels are currently being filled while we also work out the CA regulation requirements that will cause us to change the retail label once again! In the meantime, if your U.S.-based garden center doesn't have your favorite plant product in their inventory, the store calls the distributor to place an order. If the distributor doesn't carry a particular line but gets enough requests, they will contact the manufacturer and set up a program. Stay tuned to our website as we are working hard to get these products to you!

Thanks

Boomer Cardinale
Natural Industries
boomtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2009   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Boomer, thanks for posting and answering our questions. Can you tell me the difference between Actinovate SP and Actinovate AG? Ami
Old February 26, 2009   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Boomer,

So if I were to use your Actino-Iron as a soil drench, then I would not need to also drench the same soil with Actinovate SP?

Last season, I used Actinovate as a spray on the leaves to kill powdery mildew, and it worked quite well. A test spray of Myco-Grow had no effect on the mildew. You must be putting something additional in Actinovate to kill off these leaf diseases, correct?

Ray
Old February 26, 2009   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, the active ingredient in Actinovate that protects the root system is the same animal that protects the plant above ground. Myco-Grow which is Endo-Ecto mycorrhiza inoculates the roots and enhances the exchange of nutrients between the roots and soil.This results in a more healthy plant which is more able to fend off diseases than a weak plant. It will have no effect when used as a foliar application as you noted. Actinovate also enhances the exchange of nutrients to the roots as a bonus to fending off disease. Hence your larger, healthier Snow Pea Tainer using the Actinovate. Ami