Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old June 3, 2014   #106
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Soundsgood, thanks so much for your post on bokashi! I was actually just going to post on here about it...

So I tried my first attempt at bokashi a couple weeks ago... and it was a total failure. I made a small batch of dry bokashi bran. Used approx. 2lbs of wheat bran and Teraganix EM-1, which I dried in the sun....

Anyway, I put a whole lot of broccoli that was starting to go bad and some celery that was a bit slimey on one side. I don't know if that was the issue but my house smelled SOOO bad - like a giant FART!! After 3 days I had to dump it, I couldn't take it anymore!! My bokashi bucket is made with a gamma lid. (Afterwards I test the tightness with water and its tight!) So that broccoli gas is gosh darn powerful!! To say i'm gun-shy is an understatement... I just re-started again over the weekend using the tomato plant prunings from my garden.

I want this to work for me so badly!

Last edited by luigiwu; June 4, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #107
soundsgood
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Soundsgood, thanks so much for your post on bokashi! I was actually just going to post on here about it...

So I tried my first attempt at bokashi a couple weeks ago... and it was a total failure. I made a small batch of dry bokashi bran. Used approx. 2lbs of wheat bran and Teraganix EM-1, which I dried in the sun....

Anyway, I put a whole lot of broccoli that was starting to go bad and some celery that was a bit slimey on one side. I don't know if that was the issue but my house smelled SOOO bad - like a giant FART!! After 3 days I had to dump it, I couldn't take it anymore!! My bokashi bucket is made with a gamma lid. (Afterwards I test the tightness with water and its tight!) So that broccoli gas is gosh darnoodley powerful!! To say i'm gunshy is an understatement... I just re-started again over the weekend using the tomato plant prunings from my garden.

I want this to work for me so badly!
Last night re-read my notes largely based on the above-linked video and found that rotted food is not recommended as you have learned. Still guess that with extra bran added at the outset it may have gone your way. As Bryan often says, this process is very forgiving. Knowing the limits of its forgiveness is good

Carry on!
soundsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #108
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to have to rewatch that but yeah, that's what I'm learning. I tend to eat everything that is edible and usually only think bout composting/bokashi-ing it when its starting to bad. Like today, I have a onions and a potato that is going bad. Lesson learned and I won't try to bokashi it.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bokashi