Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 23, 2018   #16
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

It's hard to choose one over the other, for instance if I were growing other blacks then I would go with Big Beef but then if I wasn't growing any other blacks then I would go with Krim...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Its the only black I'm growing this time around.

The 5 gallon buckets have soilless Pro Mix in them, and I will be using 4-18-38 Tomato and Vegetable Formula with 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate and Epsom Salt. It's all new to me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #18

Default Black Krim

Hi,

I haven't grown Big Beef but last season I grew Black Krim and it was absolutely delicious. Smoky, rich, velvety, I didn't find it overly juicy. It is also a beautiful looking tomato. For me (I grow in Earthboxes) the production was just average but the taste was superior. If I had more room, I would grow a couple BK's. Will be in my garden this year for sure.

Best of luck!

Old March 25, 2018   #19
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Totally Big Beef. Black Krim is a great choice. It is early, productive, tastes great; but won't sit on the counter very long before becoming mushy for me.

Big Beef is the only hybrid I grow and I made a huge mistake this year. I relied on the seedling retailers to have my seedlings and I can't find them anywhere in my area. It is the only variety I didn't grow from seed. I've already planted my tomatoes and I have eight spots sitting empty waiting for eight Big Beef plants.

I'm growing ten Carbon plants for my black tomatoes this year.

Last edited by DonDuck; March 25, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Don, I see you are in Corinth. Almost due south of you 75 miles away in a town/city called Cleburne is where I bought the Black Krim, and they did have a lot of 6-packs of Big Beef for $2.50 last Thursday the 22nd. It's called Korner Trading Post with this link https://www.yellowpages.com/cleburne...post-525476430 the other links you might find are for where they used to set up shop. It's a mom and pop place with excellent looking plants. Their phone number is on the link above, so call to see if they still have some - and ask them to set some aside for you. Tell them how far away you are driving - they're good people.

I would go there and check for you - buy some - even meet somewhere in Fort Worth, but I am disabled and do not drive.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #21
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That would suck, counting on a retailer to have Big Beef and they decide not to sale them this year or someone already bought them all...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2018   #22
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salt!

I have three or four places I will be checking today for my Big Beef plants. The plant nursery which normally grows and distributes Big Beef is Babys Greenhouse in Lipan, Texas. If I can't locate any today, I will call Babys and ask them to tell me where they have already delivered some in my area. It's possible they didn't grow any this year.

I did locate some Burpees Big Boy plants grown by Babys saturday and bought them with the thought in mind that Burpee sometimes changes names so they can claim it as an original. In this case, the Big Boy hybrid variety is original to Burpee dating back to 1949. According to people who have grown both, Big Boy doesn't have the resistance package as complete as Big Beef and isn't as productive as Big Beef plus Big Boy tends to have a sweeter flavor than Big Beef. I prefer the old fashioned slightly acidic flavor of Big Beef. If I can't find my Big Beef plants, I will plant the Big Boy plants I've already purchased. If I do find the Big Beef plants, the Big Boy plants will go into the compost bin.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote