Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 24, 2017   #1
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Default ventilation

Starting in late Nov. I used wiggle wire / c channel to secure the roll up sides to the bottom boards on either side of the high tunnel. I also insulated around the inside perimeter using 1.5" rigid Styrofoam, spray foam, ect... It's pretty air tight and I've noticed the humidity lately; most of the time it's around 100%

I also added power and a 55K BTU non-vented propane heater.

Nothing is planted yet, but I'm wanting to start my first tomatoes around 15 March. Daily temps with everything closed are commonly 80-110 degrees on a sunny 20 deg. F day.

My question is ventilation. I'd like to invest in either:
1. automatic roll up sides (I wrote an app that I could control them with my phone)
2. Ventilation fan with motor powered intake vents

Which would be the better bet? It seems like either option would fight/contend with the heater. Meaning, when the heater is on, the ventilation would draw the heat out?
Heater is mounted just above the door in below pic.

thanks.

Last edited by pecker88; January 24, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote