Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 3, 2009   #16
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Angel, your post about the mint is hysterical! These husbands..! I may have his long lost twin. It's just as well mine isn't interested in the garden. He'd be trying to plant t.v. dinners.

This evening was the first it didn't rain in several days, so I was able to zip over to the plot and pull out that velvet leaf, being careful to remove every seed pod with it. The burdock came out, too. I did not throw it into the evil neighbor's garden.

Pulled up a lot more weeds, making the cleared space extremely visible to all. Maybe they will get a clue and stop tossing stuff my way.

Re chives, I put some in my wee garden here at the house, and I don't think much of them. They barely taste like anything. So I didn't even start the chives that came with my Aerogarden. Are garlic chives better than plain chives? I just can't imagine anyone even wanting the chives I grew.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009   #17
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Honestly, it's been so long since I've had the opportunity to taste them that I don't remember how different they are LOL. There is a difference, Kevin and my son say they taste like garlic and chive combined. I find that I don't much like chives until they're well established, it's almost as though the flavor develops as the patch gets older. My neighbor growing up had a 50 year old patch of chives that you could smell from yards away when it rained, and they were the tastiest chives I've ever had. I know that they fed them well, twice a year the entire garden got manured, they spread fireplace ashes on it, and I seem to recall Mrs. Perry putting matches in the chive patch when she did it for the onions. She said it improved their flavor. I think I'll try that with some of the plants we got yesterday.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009   #18
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Oh, and congratulations on your restraint. I wouldn't have thrown my weeds over there either, but I certainly would pitch his own back at him.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009   #19
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Garlic chives are more substantial than regular chives. They have broad flat leaves instead of skinny round ones. I especially like eating the flower buds. It's amazing what a burst of flavor you can get from one tiny bud (but then you sacrifice a bunch of seeds).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote