Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 19, 2016   #16
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

I have a Peach ghost pepper plant that looks like a small tree. It over wintered to low temps of 25-26 and we still have peppers on it with lots of fresh growth. Too bad I dislike the taste or hotness? of this one.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I do agree. I would like to find a good barometric pressure gauge. I have heard the dew point is 31 here today so far. That's good news. I've also seen/heard they have raised the forecasted low temperatures to around 40 in my area. I do tend to worry too much.

I still need to get out there and put up the t posts and lower wires sense that's how I am going to support the tomato plants this year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, I do agree. I would like to find a good barometric pressure gauge. I have heard the dew point is 31 here today so far. That's good news. I've also seen/heard they have raised the forecasted low temperatures to around 40 in my area. I do tend to worry too much.

I still need to get out there and put up the t posts and lower wires sense that's how I am going to support the tomato plants this year.
They are around and not expensive.
In the old days this is how the weather people did things without all the fancy stuff they have today.
Just like I used to use a grid map compass and wind direction to call 81 mortar and naval gun fire instead of GPS and computers.
A homemade barometer and a hygrometer are both easy to make in a pinch.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #19
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm agreeing with Worth on this one, despite what seems to otherwise be a con census. Every fall out pepper plants are still flowering and producing right up till frost. They shrug 40 right off. If you're worried about it though, throw an old sheet over them.
I would agree in the fall when you have mature plants, they do fine in the cold. i would also say not so much for young seedlings, getting chilled, will set them back. I forgot alittlesalt is in TX, so it's not that big of a deal. Here with superhots they are so slow anyway, it could lower production for us. It also depends on the pepper itself. Peppers that come from high altitudes handle the cold better. Like some of the Peruvian peppers. Ones from tropical zones, again, not so much. Anyway those more cold resistant peppers probably can handle the cold even as seedlings. Always exceptions to every rule.

I also seem not to think outside my box. the season is just starting here, i was thinking seedlings. If peppers are more mature, I agree, 40 is fine!

Last edited by drew51; March 19, 2016 at 01:17 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Buckets, Totes, and Dragons

If it just frosts tonight/morning - hopefully this will work. I put stakes away from the tomato plants trying to keep the sheets from touching the plants. I don't know if it'll work or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0067.JPG (71.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0068.JPG (86.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0069.JPG (82.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0070.JPG (57.1 KB, 33 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #21
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Looks good Robert, you should be fine.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #22
Dinahsb
Tomatovillian™

It's going to be thrity seven here in Dallas. I don't have the number you people have, so I will use buckets. Would sheets work? Maybe you could try that. I don't think you will have an issue in Austin either.
Dinahsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #23
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I looked at our dew points and they are well below the expected temperature.
Without this you cant have frost unless the ground temperature is that much colder.
In other words if your thermometer says 35 at 5 feet up but the temps at the plants are 32 and the dew point is 34 you can get frost.
Water simply will not freeze above 32 degrees
Behind this cold front is a mass of dry air dropping the humidity way down thusly bringing the dew point down into the upper 20's.

There are other ways frost can form but it isn't going to happen here unless we have an ice age.
When I was growing up we had a thermometer a barometer and a hygrometer.
With these we would determine is there was going to be a frost or not and if we were going to go fishing.
If the barometer (barometric pressure) is falling the fish stop biting most of the time.
These are handy tools for any gardener to have.
Barometric pressure falling can also cause your joints to hurt.
It isn't proven but they are doing research.
Yesterday before the front hit and the pressure was falling my right knee started to hurt a little.

Worth

Thanks for teaching me something Worth! I need to get a barometer and hygrometer and learn to use them.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote