Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 31, 2015   #76
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Lovely! (the tomatoes not your feet!)
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015   #77
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Linda, lots of ideas have emerged from the tomato fort, and a few glasses of wine consumed, by the wife of course. lol

This is the last year I will do a thread, as I said when I joined Tomatoville, everyone should always give back when they take something, and at TV, I LEARNED A WHOLE LOT ABOUT VARIETIES.

Now most people in the far north, who have read the threads, should see, from the threads, you can grow the classics in the far north, and I did explain several different ways I have grown them the last few years.
I have a couple more goodies to show, and we are almost there.
Ya'all, have a great day
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015   #78
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2015   #79
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Linda, lots of ideas have emerged from the tomato fort, and a few glasses of wine consumed, by the wife of course. lol

This is the last year I will do a thread, as I said when I joined Tomatoville, everyone should always give back when they take something, and at TV, I LEARNED A WHOLE LOT ABOUT VARIETIES.

Now most people in the far north, who have read the threads, should see, from the threads, you can grow the classics in the far north, and I did explain several different ways I have grown them the last few years.
I have a couple more goodies to show, and we are almost there.
Ya'all, have a great day
I think your posts and photo's have served as a real inspiration to many new aspiring gardeners. People new to the game may be afraid to offer advise, for fear of being wrong. Sometimes a little information can be a dangerous thing.

I was a regular on another forum on a totally different subject matter that I had a lot of knowledge in. People would come on the forum looking for information, and sometimes I would literally spend hours answering all of their questions, and providing them with links to sites they might find useful.

I never joined looking for "strokes". I just wanted to help people out and share what information I had. But after a considerable time, and way too much time spent on the forum, it became exhausting and I began to question why I was doing it, as it sometimes felt so thankless.

I hope that's not the way you feel. Specialty forums like this usually consist of lots of students and not enough teachers. Hate to lose an exceptional teacher and gardener on this forum, so I hope you stick around a little longer.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #80
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Schill93, I will still stay on forum, I enjoy reading many posters thoughts, I just think my northern threads have served their purpose, or not.

We have a lot going on, we are putting up several new greenhouses at a separate location, and we love to explore, kayak, and hike Alaska, so time is precious and it takes a lot of time to take and post a bunch of pics.

This year we are trying to get 50lbs from a single plant, and also want to grow a 5lb or larger tomato. I will post some pics soon.

Greyghost, some of those seeds sure are making some excellent tomatoes.

Have a great day lower 48'ers and others.
Old June 1, 2015   #81
bower
Tomatovillian™

Mark,

We really appreciate the time you put into your threads. It's been fantastic to see what you're doing, and how your ingenuity worked out for you. These threads are a testament to what can be done with the right technology and know-how for growing tomatoes in the North. Thank you so much for sharing as you've done.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #82
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

There will always be newbies that may not know how to search the archives. Your new Alaska thread every year proves what can be done up there. I know i love seeing the pics and i am sure im not the only one. That being said i know how tiring it can be uploading and describing pics on the middle of the season. Thanks for all yhe pics they have always been a breath of fresh air.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #83
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've said it once before, this is one of my favorite threads ever on TVille. When I see you put new post up I can't wait to look and see all the pictures. I do you know what you mean about the time it takes to take the photos, get them on the computer, resize them so they are TVille friendly, then write it up; but your pictures and stories bring awe and joy, thank you for posting them.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2015   #84
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I've said it once before, this is one of my favorite threads ever on TVille. When I see you put new post up I can't wait to look and see all the pictures. I do you know what you mean about the time it takes to take the photos, get them on the computer, resize them so they are TVille friendly, then write it up; but your pictures and stories bring awe and joy, thank you for posting them.
Totally agree.

Maybe you could compromise next year with less pics, etc.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #85
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Mark, I've been thinking about trying the masterblend 4-18-38. Do you think it affects the taste of your tomatoes (for better or worst?)
Also do you prune your plants?
AMAZING job as always!
Old June 2, 2015   #86
HollyinNNV
Tomatovillian™

As a new member, I'd like to say thanks for all of the work putting up pictures and posting information. Your pictures are very inspirational and I find the information you give valuable.
Holly
HollyinNNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #87
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu, 4-18-38 is a 3 part when used for tomatoes, it is excellent though, and taste is not affected even a tiny bit. I have done several taste tests with different set ups, even organic, and taste is consistent.
The biggest factors that do affect taste is over watering, which you usually get outdoors at certain times of the year in most given areas, cold weather, and boiling heat. When we keep those factors reigned in we experience great tasting tomatoes.
We have also got pretty good at growing heirlooms that look cosmetically good, I have had very few if any cracks on Brandywine, etc this year.
Today we eat Rebel Yell, and Tarensenko 6, T6 is loaded with beautiful tomatoes, I mean loaded, like I have never seen before, I sure hope it passes the taste test.
Yesterday I tried Picardy which was also loaded, it was a blandish flop, Great Divide was good, but the Sudduth's we ate was perfect, in cosmetics and taste. Yum, I love that strain, always reliable from start to finish, and a great yield for me.
Old June 2, 2015   #88
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Luigiwu, 4-18-38 is a 3 part when used for tomatoes, it is excellent though, and taste is not affected even a tiny bit. I have done several taste tests with different set ups, even organic, and taste is consistent.
The biggest factors that do affect taste is over watering, which you usually get outdoors at certain times of the year in most given areas, cold weather, and boiling heat. When we keep those factors reigned in we experience great tasting tomatoes.
We have also got pretty good at growing heirlooms that look cosmetically good, I have had very few if any cracks on Brandywine, etc this year.
Today we eat Rebel Yell, and Tarensenko 6, T6 is loaded with beautiful tomatoes, I mean loaded, like I have never seen before, I sure hope it passes the taste test.
Yesterday I tried Picardy which was also loaded, it was a blandish flop, Great Divide was good, but the Sudduth's we ate was perfect, in cosmetics and taste. Yum, I love that strain, always reliable from start to finish, and a great yield for me.
By 3 part, I am assuming you mean you are adding some calcium nitrate and also some epsom salt to your mix. Is that correct? If so, I wanted to mention that I read on Amazon, that they now are also making it with the added calcium nitrate to bring the nitrogen up to 19. Now you might not like the nitrogen at 19 and prefer controlling it to your taste. I don't know, but that is what someone mentioned.

I am trying it now myself. So far so good. I swear my eggplant grew 6 inches over night the first time I used it (but they were starved for nutrients) I thought I remember you saying you recently switched over. How long have you been using it now?
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #89
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

One more tiny question for Mark -

Do you reuse your potting mix (Pro-Mix) from year to year OR do you start fresh every year?

----

Shill93 - I bought the combined mix from Amazon (haven't used it yet), it says it contains everything. I haven't used it yet as the few plants I have left that haven't been yanked up are super mature.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #90
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Excellent Mark!!! 4.07 LBS!! Bravo!!