Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old February 28, 2007   #1
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant like Fairy Tale?

Last year I grew Fairy Tale eggplant plus a Thai variety. I was really impressed with Fairy Tale: the skin was very thin and tender and non-bitter, they look beautiful, it cooked up quickly to a not-too-strong taste, and the plant was an easy grower and productive. I am thinking of growing it again but wondered if anyone has grown an eggplant with similar qualities. I haven't grown many types so don't have a lot of comparison, but I never recall an eggplant with such tender skin.

Scott
scottfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

There are so many great eggplant - try Machiaw or Orient Charm or Snowy or Orient Express from JSS, Antigua from TGSC just as a start. Great colors, easy to grow, nice sweet tender flesh....
Old February 28, 2007   #3
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

I grew Fairy Tale last year and loved it as well. I haven't grown anything else quite like it. FT is really good sliced, tossed in some olive oil and fresh herbs, then baked. Yum. FT was a heavy yielder for me as well.
Old February 28, 2007   #4
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I also thought Fairy Tale was pretty unique. I have grown half a dozen varieties over the years and can never recall a variety with such paper-thin, pleasant-tasting skin or which cooked up so fast (the latter is important for me because I can't stand undercooked eggplant).

Scott
scottfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007   #5
mouse
Tomatovillian™

Could you please let me know where you have found the best prices for Fairy Tale seeds? So far, the best prices I have seen are from Mountain Valley Seeds, SLC, Utah, 100 seeds for $8.14.

I also have found Applegreen to be very good and early. Green Goddess very productive and tender as well; however my source, Pinetree, discontinued this variety, and i would be grateful for a retailer for this Sakata cultivar.

Thanks.

mouse

Last edited by mouse; March 13, 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added material
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2007   #6
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

mouse- Johnny’s Selected Seeds has them cheaper. You’ll have to check on shipping. If I remember correctly, they are the ones who bred Fairytale, but I could be wrong… You might want to check up on the Johnnys thread here to see what has been recently happening with the company and make your own decision, but I will continue to order from them.

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2007   #7
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Default Fairy tale hybrid eggplant -

Tomato Growers Supply Company catalog has them, 30 seeds for $3.05

Very prolific on the plant, but the small size of the many fruits made it seem more like an ornamental to me, kind of a bother to need so many for a meal. Very pretty plant, will regrow until I run out of seeds.

TGS does have both Apple Green at $2.15 per packet, and Green Goddess at $2.75 in their online catalog.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/eggplant.htm
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007   #8
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I suppose it depends on how many you want. If you just want 30 or so, then the other suggestions are great. I buy lots of seed from HPS - they sell in quantities up to and over a POUND Prices are great too!

In any case, they offer Fairy Tale seed in quantities of 100 ($6.50), 200 ($11.45), 500, and 1000.
Old March 18, 2007   #9
mouse
Tomatovillian™

Friends,

Thanks all for the very helpful input. Willhite seeds has a number of interesting hybrids from India at fair prices that may be worth a look, especially for our mad Aussie friends [mad for eggplants, that is]!

I have a list [to post later] from the Asian Veg. Research and Dev. Ctr., Taiwan, the germplasm center for Asian and African eggplants, that lists dry matter and sugar contents. Some of the Indian cultivars rate the highest, although the status of the hybrids is unknown; with higher yields coming more punky ground tissue rather than a proportionately large increase in photosynthetic rate, which is more difficult to achieve.

m

Last edited by mouse; March 18, 2007 at 03:41 AM.
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote