Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 25, 2009   #1
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Default Best discovery from a bonus or free pack of seeds

I must be bored, but my seed starting mix won't be here for a few more days so...
Have you ever received a pack of seeds that you would not have ordered and then planted them to find out they did great...?
My favorite was a few years ago, I received a free pack of Savoy cabbage seeds . I always grow purple and green cabbage ,so I started a few savoy too...They grew twice as large as my other varieties and had about half the insect trouble of regular cabbage...Now I only plant Savoy and a few purple heads...
Have also had some great tomato seeds as a bonus from Sand Hill over the years...Fence Row, Porters, Red Beauty etc....So far this year only free carrots (very boring)....but I have high hopes for the sand hill order.
Anyone else have any good bonus discoveries....?

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2009   #2
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

I was thrilled to get a packet of Sprite from TGS this year. I'm love good things that come in small packages.

I think carrots are boring, too. As veggies go, they're pretty cheap to buy and I can get the beneficial insect attracting effect by planting the left over tops here and there amongst the veggies.

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2009   #3
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I've only had a couple of freebie packets but never planted them since the DTM was way beyond our season. Carrots wouldn't be that boring to me as I buy the locally grown in 25 lb. bags in the fall to eat during the winter.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2009   #4
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Back in the '90's Totally Tomatoes sent a freebie tom seed, 'Hard Rock.' I went ahead and grew it and planted the thing.
The first thing I noticed was it was a great looking plant, with a sturdy stem that could stand up to gusty winds. Then it produced - OMG. I didn't have time for canning, so I took sackfuls to work everyday for 2 weeks. Since then it is a 'must grow,' just two plants and I'm busy (now canning) for the last two weeks of July.
Old January 25, 2009   #5
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I also got Hard Rock from Totally Tomatoes in 2006; much the same results as simmran1.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2009   #6
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

ok here goes a dumb question!!!!!!!!!!! do you buy the carrots at the grocery store and plant the green tops in your garden? i know it sounds newbie,what can i say? thanks for all the good info. i love this site.
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2009   #7
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Neva, you can grow out all kinds of grocery store produce, but the biggest surprises come from the rootcrops.

We had a deadbeat beet that became a beautiful red-leafed container plant. It gave us a few servings of cut and come again greens and the root got huge. I chopped it up and planted the parts. One put up some wimpy flowering stalk, the others , produced leaves although not ever again as vigorously. That old wilted beet taught me the greatest garden lesson I could have: Never be afraid to try..

I stuck two types of green onions into another pot and it was a good thing that it was a large pot, because they got very tall and and then they bloomed. Allium blooms! Pretty! And then one of them produced a set of bulbing onions!

Green onions make good cheaters, too. Add a row of them to a newly bed and Voila! Instant green in the veggie bed.

I put a sweet potato in water last yearand let it grow starter "slips." , I broke them off and planted them and though it was very late in the season,I still got small sweet potatoes!

You will have so much fun and learn so much with your container gardening! Nothing is sacred because nothing is permanent. If something doesn't work dump it or move it. If it works too well and ougrows its spot, transplant it!

Sorry, I didn't mean to get so off-topic. I just get excited for all the adventures ahead of new gardeners.

Jan
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2009   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Neva -- Carrots are started very easily in the garden from seeds which are readily available on any seed rack. You'll be amazed to discover how many different varieties are available, including colors other than orange!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2009   #9
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

thanks jan and sherry,still a lot to learn. it helps to have someone to ask that understands.
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2009   #10
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago, while part of the National Gardening Club/magazine, I received a pack of Top Sirloin Tomato seed to try. I have grown them every year since. Almost the only hybrid that I do grow. Someone was to receive tractors and big ticket items to trial and i got a pack of seeds.....but they were a "good result" item to try!! Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2009   #11
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Back in 1984 Park Seed Co. sent us a nondescript packet of free tomato seed which was labeled Sunray VF. I didn’t have any idea how to find out what that tomato was like and Park did not answer me when I inquired. But I planted some and they turned out to be a favorite. I still grow Sunray, almost every year, as one daughter will eat no other fresh tomato.

Then, sometime in the late 80s there was this fellow in Seed Savers who had the irritating habit of sending seed requests without the proper reimbursement. His handwriting was terrible. It was hard to make out what he wrote. With each request he would enclose a packet or two of tomato seed, which he claimed to have bred himself. I threw them away…. Just a few years later other Seed Savers Exchange members began listing these varieties. Every single one received excellent reviews! Ow!

Then, through the Seed Savers Exchange I have learned that most often, when someone sends me something unsolicited, usually with a note along the line of “free gift,” or “you’ve got to try this,” I try it! These are often varieties for which someone else has already done a lot of trialing and concluded that they are very good. I’ve found this with cowpeas, beans, tomatoes and melons.

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2009   #12
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

I am looking forward to growing out three types of seed sent with orders - Arkansas Marvel & Dixie Golden Giant (thanks Gary) & Goldie from Marianna's seeds (thanks Marianna). Somehow they knew I am seeking that perfect glowing orb of my youth! LOL
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009   #13
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Never grown my freebies, but am thinking I will try some collards from a free packet this year.

And I have to agree with Jan and Sherry, experimenting is half the fun of gardening. It's amazing what works. I love finding the plants that grow out of my compost piles. I especially love the baby potatoes. One year I had lots of squash plants that came out of one pile. I carefully potted up what I could, gave some plants away and hoped for the best. One fellow got lots of winter squash, although I did not remember buying or planting that variety the year before.

Last year I threw some green onion seed, (scallions) from several packets labeled 2006 into the soil. I've always read that onion seed is good for a year and forget it after that. But it all came up, and beautifully too. It was in my neighbors' garden space and I had to pull it up at the end of the season. I hope they let me grow in their garden again this year. They have so much more room than I do.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2009   #14
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Last year Sand Hill enclosed a packet of Webb's Wonderful-English romaine and tolerant to heat - Thank you Glenn! That is the best romaine - a lot of body to the leaves, excellent flavor and the plants lasted until at least mid July. I let them so to seed and saved quite a bit and will try again this year. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2009   #15
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

Buy both bulk from seedhouse here and send off for seed. The piemento pepper couple were long and figure had got few hot ones in their seed. But they are sweet and really a great pepper. No idea what they are. Better than the fry peppers I grew. They turn red. Larger. I guess a bonus?

The white cherry I sent for was two cherries , the white one and larger pale yellow one. Two for the price ot one?

So only way to have more was to save seed. Yes, they grew long large red. And the cherry the same.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote