Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 20, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Fall Garden ALREADY??

Seems strange because I just started picking my late season tomatoes last week, but it's true! My lima beans are just now beginning to flower but it's time to start thinking about the fall garden around here. I'm really enjoying all my summer veggies but I don't want to get too far behind. My spring, summer and fall gardens always overlap to a degree. The SESE planting chart recommends carrots be planted here between July 21 and August 21! I think I'll dig up all these potatoes this weekend and use that space for some of the earlier fall veggies. I never have squash a full season because of the squash vine borer so those plants come out to make room for the cabbage family.

I plan to grow collards, turnips, kale, carrots, beets, chard, spinach, garlic and shallots. In the past, I've always grown cabbage in the fall. I am thinking about moving it to the spring so I only have to get my grow lights out once a year. I've sown it directly but get much better results when I start plants indoors. Same with broccoli.

Anybody else planning their fall/winter garden yet?
Old July 20, 2007   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Im not growing much this fall but I do have tomato seedlings started for my fall crop
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2007   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could grow two rounds of tomatoes each year. When we have a summer without much disease and a warm fall, I can still get small, but decent tasting tomatoes into November. I feel lucky to live in a place where I can garden twelve months out of the year and I like all veggies, so I do enjoy a fall/winter garden, too. I love being able to experience all four seasons and enjoying seasonal foods.
Old July 20, 2007   #4
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking about it MY tomatoes from Spring I have been giving CPR and they are starting to respond. I dug up volunteer plants and planted them in pots where plants did not make it. I plant collards, turnips, mustard greens, broccoli, cabbage. This year I am going to try potatoes and garlic in the fall. I have never grown a carrot in Georgia but plan on trying again soon
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2007   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I have horrible luck with spring grown carrots but in the fall they germinate really quickly and do much better. It's one of the few veggies my son will eat and he's excited about growing them.
Old July 20, 2007   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Except for tomatoes I'm so late getting other stuff planted it's mostly all going to be a fall crop. :-)
Old July 20, 2007   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting an opportunity to test germination on many seeds I saved last fall and this spring. Hopefully confirmation that I have correctly fermented or otherwise processed my seeds.

So far, things are looking pretty good. Black Cherry and Jaune Flamme are being shy but I may have planted the seeds too deep or they may not have appreciated the overnight soak in weak tea.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2007   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I decided to get some grow lights out and started Romanesco broccoli, which has already come up, and Chieftain Savoy cabbage. They won't be moving outside for at least a month. I am holding off on pulling out those potatoes but when I do, I'll plant some carrots and then start worrying about where to put everything else.
Old July 27, 2007   #9
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I want to get some snap peas, carrots and beets in the ground...but waiting a bit to let weather settle down.
Old July 30, 2007   #10
GManess
Tomatovillian™

Just started seeds in trays for my fall garden 6 days ago. Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Henderson's Charleston Wakefield Cabbage, Red Acre Cabbage, Georgia Collards, Batavian Full Heart Endive, Russian Red Kale, and Early Purple Vienna Kohlrabi seeds all germinated within 3-4 days. No sign yet of my Upland Cress Barbbarea verna, known in the south as Creasy Greens. I also started 3 varieties of Lettuce in trays last night.
I will probably plant other crops direct in the garden in a week or two ( Wild Arugula, Beets, Carrots, Radishs, Spinich, Swiss Chard, and Turnips). I'm also going to try and sneak a late planting of fingerling Potatoes in before I plant Garlic in October.
GManess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2007   #11
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My fall garden is underway. Inside under lights are Chieftain Savoy cabbage and Romanesco broccoli. Outside I've already planted Oxheart carrot, Paris Market carrot, Giant Noble spinach and Fordhook Giant Swiss chard. Still left to plant are Morris Heading collards, White Egg turnips, Elephant and Music garlic and Southern White shallots. I'm actually on schedule this year! I can't believe it!

Last edited by shelleybean; August 14, 2007 at 02:13 PM.
shelleybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2007   #12
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We're finally getting some cooler weather now. It's great to get some relief from the heat, especially in the evenings. It would be enjoyable to go out and work in the garden after dinner if not for all those mosquitos!

My carrots, collards, turnips, chard (though it appears to be the wrong seed), and beets are all up. My spinach was up but fried in the sun. Baby cabbages and broccoli plants are out in the garden. I'm still waiting to plant onions, garlic and shallots.

From my summer garden, I still have one Brandywine plant that looks fairly healthy, my butter beans, my pimentos and frying peppers, my okra, and one last eggplant. My summer flowers are looking very tired except for the four o'clocks. It's still way too hot to plant pansies or violas here though. That'll have to wait unti next month or even November.

Any other progress reports on fall/winter gardens?
Old September 2, 2007   #13
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

My snap peas are up...not sure if I will get around to the beets and carrots...
Old September 3, 2007   #14
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I am working on getting more beds cleaned up so I can get more stuff in. I can really feel the change in the weather in the last few days.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2007   #15
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Shellybean...i prefer to get it Done,(mainly cause it takes all i got, time-wise, to do so ) an then...talk about it...so.... Yeah...fall-plantin is goin on here..))) Got some interesting new lettuces anxious to grow, an a cabbage, an several new broccoli cv's, ...actually...got a lot of newbie cv's of various vegetable type.....its a now-born job...to get em underway. Growin thru our so-called Winter, these days....fascinates me...im kinda thankful for the new-found challenges/opportunities.....but i keep wonderin about that now or soon to be...relegated meaningless... Northwest Passage route, and all...that that loss entails. Will revisit an elaborate....wonderin...are u growin a runnin/climbin Lima ? If so...dont give up on em...they are jus fixin to build yield . I noticed...in this whole site sub-forum...there are no direct cabbage or broccoli threads....strange...aint it ?...))) Here's to hopin Fall/07 an Winter (if we still call it that)...get back to what a regular person might naturally count on....weather-wise...))) Best Wishes...)))