Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 30, 2015   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default Early indications of Fungal resistance in my F3 crosses

Interesting and maybe promising?

In a bad year for powdery mildew in my yard, there is obvious resistance to it in my F3 crosses. Most of my dwarf tomatoes have completely succumbed within feet of my untouched potato leaf F3 heart crosses.

Interested for the pro's to weigh in on this. Generally here we do not have huge fungal problems but I do get powdery mildew on my perennials that are growing in the shade each year. I need of get rid of these delphiniums but the problem is I like them and they are beautiful until mid August each year and then they get hit hard with the PM. Would love to see how they do with other fungal issues in future. None of my F3's have been affected even those immediately adjacent to heavily affected plants.

I use zero spraying, zero antifungal protection on anything. Also, not into pruning either as you can see.

Anyway see what you think. here's a link to a video.

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada?fref=ts

Last edited by KarenO; August 30, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Just got to this thread, that was fascinating! Hard to believe those plants are still so healthy in such close proximity to those delphs/rhubarb etc. What an absolute bonus in your crosses.

Sorry that your dwarfs/dwarves succumbed to whatever. I have always grown mine outside with no spraying or anything else helpful and they've always been exceptionally sturdy and healthy plants. Of course we don't usually have too many fungal issues until the latter part of the season. Right now most of the pumpkins, zucchini and other squash in the community garden are sporting powdery mildew. Jack Frost is the biggest risk to our tomatoes, and we are expecting him tonight. I have enough green ones picked so I really don't mind. Am in great need of the 'rest season'.