Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 8, 2015   #1
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Sticky Trap Lure Attractants.

Attractants
Geraniol and eugenol are effective attractants
and are used as lures in traps for the Japanese beetle,
Popillia japonica Newman, and methyl-eugenol has
been used to trap oriental fruit fly, Dacus dorsalis
Hendel (Vargas et al., 2000). Cinnamyl alcohol, 4-
methoxy-cinnamaldehyde, cinnamaldehyde, geranylacetone
and α-terpineol are also attractive to adult
corn rootworm beetles, Diabrotica sp. (Hammack,
1996; Petroski and Hammack, 1998). The essential
oil and a number of extracts of Rosmarinus officinalis
L. in solvents of increasing polarity have been isolated,
and their components identified and tested as
pest control agents. Ethanol and acetone extracts
attract grape berry moth, Lobesia botrana. However,
none of the extracts had a significant effect on
western flower thrips, Frankliniella occidentalis,
which is attracted by 1,8-cineole, a major essential
oil component (Katerinopoulos et al., 2005).
Lemon essential oil is distilled from the peels
of Citrus limonum. It has a light yellow color and a
characteristic lemon aroma. Lemon essential oil
contains several terpenes and geraniol, which have
all been shown to attract thrips, fungus gnats,
mealybugs, scale, and Japanese beetles. Adding this
oil to the insect-a-peel, thrips/leafminer blue trap, or
the yellow aphid/whitefly sticky trap will attract these
unwanted pests and capture them on the trap (http://
www.arbico-organics.com/1610075.html).
Compositions of cis-jasmone were found to
effectively attract adult Lepidoptera. The cis-jasmone
may be used alone or in combination with one or
more other volatiles of the Japanese honeysuckle
flower, particularly linalool and/or phenylacetaldehyde.
By attracting the adult Lepidoptera to
attracticidal baits and/or field traps, the attractants
are useful for the control and monitoring of these
agricultural pests (Pair and Horvat, 1997). Similarly,
natural essential oils have shown a high attractiveness
for greenhouse whitefly, Trialeurodes vaporariorum
Westwood. Greenhouse whitefly reacted particularly
intensively to sandalwood oil, basil oil, and grapefruit
oil. After the application of aromatic substances on
yellow sticky traps, the number of insects caught
increased significantly amounting to 487.64, 483.20,
and 333.09%, respectively (Górski, 2004). Thus,
natural essential oils or their constituents could be
useful in the monitoring of pests, at least greenhouse
whitefly in the present case.

Basically if you have a source for essential oils you can incorporate them with the sticky traps with good success.Without the "lure" the traps are just a color type lure attractant.Our Whole foods has some of the above.I am experimenting with orange,lime peels right now.
Old October 14, 2015   #2
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kurt,

This is awesome! For the attractants for the whitefly... does it mean to use any one of the attractants mentioned or all of them together?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

If you are interested in additional context, the quote seems to be from a 2008 paper in an Indian journal; a copy is available at: http://projects.nri.org/adappt/docs/63-84.pdf .
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default I smear 5 oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hi Kurt,

This is awesome! For the attractants for the whitefly... does it mean to use any one of the attractants mentioned or all of them together?

Ginny
Whole foods had Grapefruit,Lemon,Sandalwood,Frankencense,I had to order Basil.These are not the pure(Jhoba oil mixed).I am using traps from Isca(lime greenish yellow) the Pest Wizard yellows,green and blue.The ones with no smear have less stuck bugs(a combo of leafminers.white fly, and some two or three other minute critters I have yet to identify).The smears with one additional only I see more activity,but the 5 oil combo I have bugs galore.I have had a problem with a Blotchy Leaf Miner(star shaped black blemish on my numerous basils)and the basil oil is slowing down the life cycles and occurrence of those blemishes.Since I am growing inside a screened in area I have created a predator free "island"for anything that gets inside,the price I am paying for no skeeter environment.Anything I put outside I have found in the past I have to go full nuclear IPM and thats not what we want.So the five oils are really attracting more bugs since I started and I can see "diminishing" returns if you will.
Old October 15, 2015   #5
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

OK cool. I have some whiteflies. Have you noticed if they are more attracted to the yellow sticky than other colors?

Thanks,
Ginny
Old October 15, 2015   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf miners, white fly

Quote:
OK cool. I have some whiteflies. Have you noticed if they are more attracted to the yellow sticky than other colors?

Thanks,
Ginny

Seems to me so far and in years past the leaf miners love the yellow,now with the Isca greens the white flies are more prevalent on that color.The whiteflys are white until they decompose to black on trap.I did a mini "timed trial" with side by side color comparisons.My with thinks I am totally bonkers but I have to remind her when she chomps down on a good mater it is well worth it.
Old October 15, 2015   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanx for additional info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
If you are interested in additional context, the quote seems to be from a 2008 paper in an Indian journal; a copy is available at: http://projects.nri.org/adappt/docs/63-84.pdf .
Old October 16, 2015   #8
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

This is interesting. I used yellow sticky traps with great success until they got full. They got full of flies, leafhoppers, and gnats mostly. Later I got inundated with whiteflies. Of course by that time it was late in the season and I was too lazy to replace them, let alone spray more than once or twice.They are still flying around out there, although it is supposed to freeze tonight.

So for you the green ones got more whiteflies? Did you buy them directly from Isca? (Their website also mentioned green cards with a new glue that won't stick to your hands, which sounded very tempting, although I didn't actually see any for sale.)

I looked on Amazon and small amounts of essential oils are pretty reasonable. How much are you using on each trap? I was thinking of starting with sandalwood, grapefruit, and basil since whiteflies are the only thing I'm not really catching.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default I am dropping oils per square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
This is interesting. I used yellow sticky traps with great success until they got full. They got full of flies, leafhoppers, and gnats mostly. Later I got inundated with whiteflies. Of course by that time it was late in the season and I was too lazy to replace them, let alone spray more than once or twice.They are still flying around out there, although it is supposed to freeze tonight.

So for you the green ones got more whiteflies? Did you buy them directly from Isca? (Their website also mentioned green cards with a new glue that won't stick to your hands, which sounded very tempting, although I didn't actually see any for sale.)

I looked on Amazon and small amounts of essential oils are pretty reasonable. How much are you using on each trap? I was thinking of starting with sandalwood, grapefruit, and basil since whiteflies are the only thing I'm not really catching.

Thank you so much for sharing this.
I am going thru some" spearmenting".Between Pest Wizard(Blue,Yellow,Regular Green)and Isca Yellow Green Tinge,I have put one drop of each oil,smeared to fill in square.Combo of one oil per color,two oils per color etc.So far the bugs congregate/stuck close to but not a definite "square" filling in landing.So far the white flies are loving the Isca Yellow Tinged,grapefruit and basil seem to be thier favorites.The Isca traps are large enough to cut in half.If folded in half and hung the tent configuration seems to mimic a shelter/underside of leaf.Keeping the traps low seems to target the whiteflies where they seem to start,meaning bottom of mater plant.Those leaf miners target anywhere on plant it seems like,but they do like the yellows.I put some blues around the Gardenias and the thrips and miners love that color also.Seems like the miners are on "meth"and fly,land take off fly in circles,land so they are the easiest to trap.
Old October 16, 2015   #10
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kurt,

Thanks for mentioning putting the traps lower for white flies. I had wondered about that because they always seem to fly from under the leaves where they are laying eggs like crazy but i wasnt sure if moving them down would help.

My sticky fly traps are filling up like crazy but i still see white flies so I'm going to try the isca tinge with grapefruit oil and basil oil.

Good info and thanks again.

Ginny
Old October 16, 2015   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default In addition to lures.

Quote:
Kurt,

Thanks for mentioning putting the traps lower for white flies. I had wondered about that because they always seem to fly from under the leaves where they are laying eggs like crazy but i wasnt sure if moving them down would help.

My sticky fly traps are filling up like crazy but i still see white flies so I'm going to try the isca tinge with grapefruit oil and basil oil.

Good info and thanks again.

Ginny
I know this Solo Sprayer has been discussed here on TVille before but this sprayer has helped me alot with those hard to reach areas with the inverted spray tip.I think mine came from Amazon,it came with a telescopic rod feature.

http://www.amazon.com/420-2-Liter-On...0_SR160%2C160_

http://solosprayers.com.au/products/...-held-sprayer/

Last edited by kurt; October 16, 2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Found Amazon link.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2015   #12
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Kurt, you are an angel for sharing this stuff.

All my sticky trap were at the top of the plants because that's what the directions suggested. So even if the hadn't been full, they weren't in a good place for whiteflies.

I hadn't seen that sprayer before. I had a hand sprayer where you could direct the nozzle up, although it gave me hand cramps, then it cracked.

What is the best thing to use for spraying whiteflies? I used insecticidal soap, which weirdly smelled like donuts to me, and two applications didn't seem to do much of anything. I know it's hard to kill them because they fly away before you can spray them, but soap should have had some residual effect. I guess I just got lazy because it was so late in the season. Perhaps more applications would have worked.
Old October 20, 2015   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Alternate Monterey Take Down,Spinosad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
Kurt, you are an angel for sharing this stuff.

All my sticky trap were at the top of the plants because that's what the directions suggested. So even if the hadn't been full, they weren't in a good place for whiteflies.

I hadn't seen that sprayer before. I had a hand sprayer where you could direct the nozzle up, although it gave me hand cramps, then it cracked.

What is the best thing to use for spraying whiteflies? I used insecticidal soap, which weirdly smelled like donuts to me, and two applications didn't seem to do much of anything. I know it's hard to kill them because they fly away before you can spray them, but soap should have had some residual effect. I guess I just got lazy because it was so late in the season. Perhaps more applications would have worked.

Monterey Take Down with pyrethrim,and Monterey with Spinosad.Since I am in a screened in area the Spinosad will not damage/hinder beneficials,I nuke the soil for Hornworms with Spinosad at the same time I spray bottom 1-2 ft up leaves underneath of plants for those Whiteflies.They seem to think humans are a predator and will fly away for escape,but it seems they will congregate,mate and move to another underside leaf for egg laying when you move on.The regular Monterey does kill them,if you see black spots underneath leaves they are dead Whiteflys.Here in South Florida we have been battling with a major Whitefly infestation for years. Relief has been slow but it is not as bad as it was.Some municipality's are going with the parasitic wasps and that is working real well.They love palms,banana leave,oak leaves,ficus,banyon.So if you have anything like that,or anything green walk around the yard and inspect.I did a complete Wasp/Ladybug remedy for my yard and finally got a handle on those little devils.Good Luck.
Old October 21, 2015   #14
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!
Old December 4, 2015   #15
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default regimen to stave whitefly onslaught

Stave OFF

Thank you all for this thread. Whiteflies have been hitting hard these last 2 months.

Culling close to 75% of my plants (natural causes, old age) and will take the opportunity to evict these invaders.

My next batch of plants will experience:
  • silver reflective plastic
  • Yellow sticky traps + essential oils low on the plants
  • alternating regimen of oils, soaps, spinosad, w special care to undersides

And as an added bonus, other garden members will be treated w oils/soaps/spinosad +DE to remove all safe havens.

I hope it's enough to make my garden an inhospitable place.

Last edited by Gerardo; December 4, 2015 at 10:58 PM. Reason: "stave off"
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote