Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 24, 2017   #1246
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Temps are now 80 degrees storm aside what a fantastic treat from bright sun and 100's this time of day.
We also got a nice shower too.
Gonna sleep good tonight for sure with security blanket and the AC on 70.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1247
imp
Tomatovillian™

Weather models are showing the storm is going to come ashore right where Rockporter lives, just north of Corpus Christie proper.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1248
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Finally we got some rain.
Last night it rained 3.5", per my rain gauge.
It is raining right now as I am typing. But not as heavily as last night.
I will check the rain gauge in the morning.
Another good news : Our highs will be around 85F for the next 10 days.
Probably we are out of the dog days of summer over here.
Cole crops time.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2017   #1249
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It rained here twice today. Once in town - it was a downpour. Once here at the house ...after I had watered the tomatoes. The weather pattern here has very weak steering currents - it's hard to tell where the rain is going to move. They're saying the same about Harvey once it makes landfall. It's possible it basically stays in one area and rains and rains, ...
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #1250
imp
Tomatovillian™

The latest I can get that if Harvey sits on the Texas coast, 50 inches of rain will not be out of the question for the coastal areas.

There are several models being used, but there is still no consensus as to what to truly expect out of this storm. Right now, Harvey is drawing some dryer air, so it is slowing any strengthening of the storm at this time, but that can change very quickly.

I can recall when Carla hit Corpus Christie. I think we were among the last civilians to evacuate, the rain was already happening, and my poor Mother with 2 kids, our Boston Terrier, a cat and a budgie, trying to drive in wind and rain. Lucky the 1950's cars were heavier and more solid. I remember coming home to the aftermath, too.

I hope Rockporter and her family, and any one else down that way, are in safe shelter or getting there quickly and safely. Best to start earlier than you think you have to, the roads get crowded up fast.

Salt, we've only gotten a sprinkle for a few minutes today, but I will laugh my tootie off if it starts raining here during the Hotter 'n Hell race Saturday - not hot, but then we'll swamp the riders, LOL!! Our temps have dropped to in the 80's for the highs....so not right for August here, but it's nice.

Last edited by imp; August 25, 2017 at 04:24 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #1251
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There is a high pressure area on the continent keeping it moving slow instead of a normal low sucking it in.
It may just skim up the coast.
If it does it wont be good.
Old August 25, 2017   #1252
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Weather models are showing the storm is going to come ashore right where Rockporter lives, just north of Corpus Christie proper.
I see there is a voluntary evacuation there. The forecasters are concerned about Louisiana if the storm moves northward. That is SCARY, in the short and long term..

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #1253
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I see there is a voluntary evacuation there. The forecasters are concerned about Louisiana if the storm moves northward. That is SCARY, in the short and long term..

- Lisa
Thew reason for the voluntary evacuation is because the powers that be dont want to mandate one.
To do so would tie up emergency people that need to evacuates or do other work other than force people from their homes.
In other words they have the right to stay if they want at this time.
Now there are mandatory evacuations from what I hear but it is the news.
If that is so then there will be a curfew.
Old August 25, 2017   #1254
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The news said that some people are staying because they say they built their homes to withstand a hurricane.
Did they build a submarine house?
The house might make it but they will not make it if they have to stand on the roof in 100 mile an hour winds with all sorts of stuff flying around.
Obviously none of them have been in one before.
Worth
Old August 25, 2017   #1255
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

My heart goes out to the people in the path of this storm. What about the old, poor and homeless folks who can't afford or have the means to leave, do the have a way to evacuate these people? I am sure they do for the most part. But this looks pretty bleak.

I hope Rock and her husband got out yesterday as planned to a safe location.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #1256
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is Texas we take care of folks all folks.
Worth
Old August 25, 2017   #1257
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
This is Texas we take care of folks all folks.
Worth
That's good to know. I know the Texas coast is a different scenario than New Orleans, but it seems NOrleans tried to evacuate but was quickly overwhelmed and many of the poor just drowned in place.
Old August 25, 2017   #1258
jillian
Tomatovillian™

SteveP, I know what you mean. When I hear of weather such as this I too worry about the elderly and homeless folk. When something this devastating occurs it is difficult, in spite of best efforts, to make certain all are safe. You know this all too well, right? How you Joplin folks banded together AFTERWARD is just awesome, the definition of folks taking care of their own!

All you wonderful Texans here take care.So glad to read Rockporter prepared and left !
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2017   #1259
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Jillian. Yes, Joplin did band together, but it was 1,000's of great people from across the country who volunteered and flocked to Joplin to help us dig out and rebuild, with some staying well over a year. Truly incredible selfless caring people. Some people we knew let us stay in a double wide trailer on their property rent free for a couple of months until we could get back on our feet. Available housing was pretty much non existent, so this was a great help.

And then of course we had a scurge of the earth people looking for anything they could steal or scam. Thankfully many of them got caught and sentenced.

What is heading toward Texas really brings back memories of what disaster really feels like.
Old August 25, 2017   #1260
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Watching all the hurricane coverage this morning makes me think of all the people living near the coast that are new to the area. The last hurricane to hit the Texas coast was in 2008. There are a lot of people who have never experienced a hurricane there.

As of 10am today the maximum sustained winds are already 110mph and the forecasters are saying it will turn into a category 3 hurricane later today. Watching it on radar, there's nothing showing it won't get worse. A very slow moving hurricane.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote