Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 7, 2016   #61
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sarandipity this year just to give these dwarf varieties a try and this is one great looking little tomato. Flavor was good, skin tougher than other varieties (but less crack resistant) and the plants grew fine and did not succumb to disease. Space is not an issue with me, I just wanted to see how well these plants grew so that I could pass on information to others I know who really don't have much room. I can definitely see the appeal of dwarf varieties for those with limited space. Like many others have mentioned, yield was low on my 12 plants.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2016   #62
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Fritz, the grow bags are recycled plastic, and felt-like. My first year using them and so far just a few i have used from my rather large purchase. I have three sizes, bulk packs, 25 of each.
This past season was minor testing. (planning on gifting micros and dwarf sunflowers for city friends)...I even have a couple small ones, sides folded down above the washer/dryer to catch pocket gack and loose change, and the larger one with handles has a load of puppy toys by the door. Very affordable at 50cents for the small gallon...

I just started some dwarf and micro seeds for a winter trial and will test the root pouches and my regular pots.
Attached Images
File Type: png root pouch.png (201.0 KB, 173 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #63
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I just bought some dwarf seeds by the Tomato Dwarf Project. Dwarf Russian Swirl, Dwarf Purple Heart, and Dwarf Mr. Snow. Might start them early next year.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2016   #64
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

In the past I have grown half a dozen of dwarfs. Not happy with the performance.
Next season I will abandon growing any dwarf. JMO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2016   #65
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
In the past I have grown half a dozen of dwarfs. Not happy with the performance.
Next season I will abandon growing any dwarf. JMO
Take a year off but i would see how your new location pans out.

I've been rather happy with a first trial season. Mobility being #1. RussianSwirl did ripen
after relocating in the city from the farm. It was rock hard and green i had no hope for...
juicy and tart lemony sweet. Had it this morning, November 12th BLT is unheard of in NYC.
Attached Images
File Type: png russian swirl ripe.png (765.5 KB, 115 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #66
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Dwarf Golden Gypsy was a new release last year - from the Dwarf Project. I can recommend this dwarf. It is very prolific, has a great taste and used little space in our GH. Here are a few photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1271.jpg (202.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1425.jpg (395.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1431.jpg (412.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1616.jpg (258.6 KB, 85 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #67
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Seeds where?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #68
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Victory Seeds was our source for the 2015 season. Here is a link.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_d...den-gypsy.html
Old November 23, 2016   #69
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Hudson- When you say very prolific, how many tomatoes are you getting per plant?

I'm having the best season for dwarfs ever. I have 11 big tomatoes on a Wild Fred plant and probably another 6-10 small ones.

I plan to take the DP survey, but am doing so much better than any other time. Actually, the first time growing dwarfs in EB and SWC, they did really good too but that was spring.

Florida has been very kind to us tomato growers since the hurricane so. Excellent weather with low humidity (humidity is relative to FL but days on end with humidity in the 50s).
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #70
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Barb,
The plants grew to about 7' in our GH and produced about 40- 50 tomatoes on each plant. The trusses had 3 to 6 blossoms each and set well with fruit. As you can see in the photo - the plant was very healthy and happy!

Great that Dwarfs are doing well for you this year. How about sharing some photos of Wild Fred and any others that are doing well for you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3nE+ggTDSn2uH+3oSJcykg_thumb_584b.jpg (414.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5b2a.jpg (304.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5b2b.jpg (360.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5b2c.jpg (305.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_572a.jpg (240.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5428.jpg (251.4 KB, 64 views)
Old November 23, 2016   #71
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

HudsonWY - Thank you so much for the info and pics. You always have such great pictures. 40-50 tomatoes on a single DP is amazing!!!

I will get new pictures tomorrow and post them.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2016   #72
jpop
Tomatovillian™

My first attempt at dwarfs last year was very successful and will try them again next year. The Tasmanian chocolate and rosella purple grew to 3-3 1/2 feet and were very compact, with each plant around 25-30 tomatoes. The new big dwarf grew to 6 1/2 feet with those having 30-40 tomatoes each. Not sure if this is considered a true dwarf.

The taste on the new big dwarf was outstanding and was the clear winner for last year with flavor at a 9. The Tasmanian chocolate was a close 2nd at 8.5 and unfortunately the rosella purple fell a little short at 7.5.

I am growing new big dwarf again this year and trying some new varieties, but will be growing additional dwarfs in the future for sure.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote