Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old August 17, 2010   #1
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Default onions on the rack

Onions are about half the size they should be,tops about the size of my thumb and leaves dead. bent tops over last week and they came back up strait. SO today I pulled them and put them in the barn on the drying rack.Hope I can salvage a few of them.
YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #2
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

What variety did you grow?

I gave up on onions from sets and start seeds in February. My luck with onions has been pretty good after that.
Old August 17, 2010   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I only grow from seed too. I start mine the 3rd week of March and usually have huge bulbs of Candy and Mars.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2010   #4
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

3rd week of March?

That would be risky here. I find that transplant losses drop to near zero with bigger transplants. I usually set them out about the 3rd week of April, dependent, mostly, on soil conditions...if the frost hasn't gone out yet, you're not good to go. They stand there and sulk for two weeks, then take off...

I haven't decided on an ultimate favorite variety. Copra is maybe on the list, but there are others. WE can usually keep onions in dry storage until we either run out (and start using the potato onions) or into early summer (9-10 months!) with the best storers. Candy didn't hold up as well as others.

FWIW, Stokes has the best selection in Onion seeds.
Old August 18, 2010   #5
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I was surprised too the first time I tried it. The next year I started them a couple weeks earlier, plus more the 3rd week of March and made 3 staggered plantings from late April to late May, 10 days apart. The last ones planted did better with less loss than the others, even the smaller ones.

Any later than that is too late though. I forgot I had some Redwing seed that is supposed to store longer than Mars, and planted it the first week of April. They were pretty good size when I transplanted them in late May, but they never bulbed up.

This year I had some loss, about 10%, because of the unusually hot, dry weather at planting time.

Candy lasts into late January for me and Mars to March. I'll be planting Copia next year for a long storage onion. Glad to know it works well for you.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2010   #6
stargazer943
Tomatovillian™

I planted sets last year from Lowe's and they were little and didn't do much. Gonna try seeds this year too! Got some Texas grano in a trade so hope it works!
stargazer943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2010   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

barkeater,

i start my seeds the 1st week in feburary because after several years of starting them on 2/22 i wanted the 2 extra weeks of growth before planting out about 4/15. remember onions bulb starting around the longest days of the year.

yopper,

i am surprised at this. yours is the 3rd thread on lousy onion results this season! did you see my post? pitiful!
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2010   #8
yopper
Tomatovillian™

YEH Tom I saw your post the price of onions in the stores will go up this yr. Looking at other web sites onions didn't do good for most from Main to Alabma this yr.I didn't have to get backhoe out to dig them this yr.ether!!!! Ya gotta have a bad yr. now and then to appeciate the good yrs. YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote