Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 11, 2016   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf disease? What is this?

THe leaves feel slimy then they dry up and thats it. This plant looks like it may not make it, bit if there is a chance it spread then all my plants are done before the season even got started. Any one see this before?

IMG_20160211_222626426.jpg

IMG_20160211_222450890.jpg
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #2
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

If the yellow spots are raised like a gall or a wart, I would guess edema. Then I'd dry 'em out some and get them some sunlight, "Blue light and to a lesser extent green light have been shown to prevent edema development in plants such as tomatoes," http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/does_li...pment_of_edema

Last edited by decherdt; February 12, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks like over water and over nitro to me.
What have you been doing and where has it been inside or out what kind of lights if inside?

Take the plant out of the container and wash off the roots soil and all and put it in new soil it might live.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #4
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

they been under the grow light for 2 weeks but we are having mild weather so I will set them out for the next day or two. I may have over fed them. I only used compost tea and kelp with a very small dab of MG.
Old February 12, 2016   #5
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

They look overwatered and overfed.

I like Worth's advice to wash and repot with new soil, preferably not MG or one with ferts.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It really would be best to wash the soil and roots off if that stuff is still in there it will continue to kill the plant.
It doesn't have much of a chance other wise.
I have had to do it before.
The ones I didn't do it to died even after I flushed water through the container.

Yesterday when I was potting up some of my Orange Russian that is what I did so I could get the plants lower in some of the smaller containers.
I washed the soil out of the root ball spread the roots out in the bottom of the container and used new soil.
Those plants never even knew it happened and are as happy as a clam today with no transplant shock what so ever.

Worth
Old February 13, 2016   #7
shule1

They might need some extra phosphorus. At least one leaf looks a little purple underneath. If what other people say is true about overfertilization, if you add phosphorus, don't add any more nitrogen (just phosphorus). If the variety is supposed to have purple veins like that, you can probably ignore the idea that it might be phosphorus deficient. It should be noted that there may be sufficient phosphorus, but other nutrients might be making the phosphorus less available.

I was going to say the leaves in the first picture look like they were frozen, and those rumply bubble-like bumps look sort of like edema. But, if they weren't frozen, the condition in the first picture looks quite unfamiliar to me, unless this variety of tomato just looks different than others. What variety is it?

Repotting as suggested earlier will probably help whatever the problem is, if it's nutritional (so long as you have good soil in the new pot).

Last edited by shule1; February 13, 2016 at 02:11 AM.
Old February 13, 2016   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think it would be a safe thing to spray them with a half of lowest recommended(in other words weak) liquid copper fungicide because you did say the leaves were slimy, and the picture looks like grey mold. Have they been where it was cold and humid or wet? Even wet with morning dew?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2016   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had one or two plants some time ago that the leaves damped off and got slimy I just pinched the leaves off and sprayed with Hydrogen peroxide.

This stuff can come out of nowhere.

Worth
Old February 13, 2016   #10
shule1

@Worth

Did it work well? Be careful with hydrogen peroxide. I contacted the manufacturer of mine and found out it had organophosphates in it, as a stabilizer. The food grade kind wouldn't have that in, though, I'm pretty sure.
Old February 13, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
@Worth

Did it work well? Be careful with hydrogen peroxide. I contacted the manufacturer of mine and found out it had organophosphates in it, as a stabilizer. The food grade kind wouldn't have that in, though, I'm pretty sure.
I know just about everything a person would want to know about hydrogen peroxide.

Worked around some stuff that was almost 100% very dangerous.
It is an oxidizer that if you get on organics such as boot leather it will burst into flames.

Yest it works great what I do is put 1 to 2 parts household 3% hydrogen peroxide to 9 to 10 parts water Maybe a little more lately.
Am am now using a 12 ounce spray bottle and putting 2 ounces of the stuff in and filling it up with RO water to over the 12 ounce mark.

I have experimented and used it to the point the soil foamed a wee bit to no ill effect to the plant.
I start doing this as soon as the seedling emerges from the soil here are my steps.
Squirt or spray with water bottle with a 1/4 to 1/2 strength MG plant food.
Then go back and hit everything with the hydrogen peroxide.
I do this every time.
Also I bottom feed and water but I still go back and spray with some plants.

The concept of burning roots on small plants with fertilizer in my opinion is wrong.
If this is happening you are getting your concentrations too hot and or using to often.

My reasoning behind this is if a seed sprouts in the soil with the right amount of nutrients it wont die it will grow.
You dont want seedlings sitting around for days on end starved of food you want them to grow as fast as they can.

Worth
Old February 14, 2016   #12
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

So I took about half of my plants and washed the soil from the roots and then re-pot them in clean pot mix, no additives and slightly larger pot. They were all nearly root bound in the small pots and in the last 48 hours since doing this, the plants all look significantly better. With this, the problem is going to be space since they are growing so fast and my first plant out data is not for another 4 weeks. Last year I started too late, this year I started too early. Next year I should about get it right
Old February 14, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzoneNY View Post
So I took about half of my plants and washed the soil from the roots and then re-pot them in clean pot mix, no additives and slightly larger pot. They were all nearly root bound in the small pots and in the last 48 hours since doing this, the plants all look significantly better. With this, the problem is going to be space since they are growing so fast and my first plant out data is not for another 4 weeks. Last year I started too late, this year I started too early. Next year I should about get it right
I am so glad to hear this I have been sitting on pins and needles waiting for the outcome.
Maybe just maybe this year you can plant out sooner.
You are in a raised bed the soil warms up faster you should have spares and you only have 12 to worry about.
Pour the coals to them and get them in one gallon pots soon.
There isn't another freeze predicted for your are for the rest of the season.
You cannot set dates you have to go year by year in Texas,

Worth
Old February 14, 2016   #14
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I think your right. Looks like I will potentially set them out Feb 20 weekend. And as of today, they are all in 1 gallon pots