Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 30, 2012   #31
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Cedar will work as well. In fact, any Coniferous bark should work satisfactorily.

Stay completely away from any Hardwood based bark as this contains resins and other elements toxic to tomato plants.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #32
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

what about cocoa shells?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #33
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew,
What made you think of that? Had to look it up of course and I found -
Made from the shells of cocoa beans, it smells like the Hershey Chocolate factory in your garden for a few days after use.
Mmmm chocolate........

i have no clue if it would be a good replacement though.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #34
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Mmmm chocolate........ i have no clue if it would be a good replacement though.
That'd be great if it would be because it's what I always use. Not only does it smell fab but it's lightweight so I can handle the bags! It also decomposes pretty quickly. Sometimes I'll see a light fungus on it but I read it's nothing to worry about and I just stir it up. You have to be careful to keep your dogs (or your neighbor's dog) away from it though because they'll be attracted to the chocolate smell for a few days (until the smell dissipates) and it's unsafe for them to eat the cocoa shells just as it is for them to eat chocolate.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #35
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Crandrew,
What made you think of that? Had to look it up of course and I found -
Made from the shells of cocoa beans, it smells like the Hershey Chocolate factory in your garden for a few days after use.
Mmmm chocolate........

i have no clue if it would be a good replacement though.
Because I currently use it as a mulch and I need to pack up some pots for peppers and other items currently being hardened off. Its on hand and fine bark fines are not available at my local nursery

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
That'd be great if it would be because it's what I always use. Not only does it smell fab but it's lightweight so I can handle the bags! It also decomposes pretty quickly. Sometimes I'll see a light fungus on it but I read it's nothing to worry about and I just stir it up. You have to be careful to keep your dogs (or your neighbor's dog) away from it though because they'll be attracted to the chocolate smell for a few days (until the smell dissipates) and it's unsafe for them to eat the cocoa shells just as it is for them to eat chocolate.
Babice thinks like Cran

You guys can look at my thread in the townhall introduction and all my mators are mulched with cocoa shells
Old May 2, 2012   #36
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Babice thinks like Cran
***babice snickers****
Old May 2, 2012   #37
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
what about cocoa shells?
Calling all experts! Are cocoa shells good to use instead of bark fines? Would you consider it to have elements toxic to tomato plants? I noticed Roots Organic has a soiless hydro coco media. And Cran and I are wondering if we can use our cocoa mulch in the soil mix versus bark fines (cran can't find it and it saves my back to use the cocoa mulch).
Old May 2, 2012   #38
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
Calling all experts! Are cocoa shells good to use instead of bark fines? Would you consider it to have elements toxic to tomato plants? I noticed Roots Organic has a soiless hydro coco media. And Cran and I are wondering if we can use our cocoa mulch in the soil mix versus bark fines (cran can't find it and it saves my back to use the cocoa mulch).
I've used cocoa shells as a substitute for pine bark fines and had good success. I've read that they're toxic to dogs, so if you have a pet you may want to investigate that allegation further.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #39
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I've read that they're toxic to dogs, so if you have a pet you may want to investigate that allegation further.
Oh - yes. This is no allegation. It's true. My vet says they have dogs die every year from ingesting these. You have to warn your neighbors and keep your dogs outta it if you have them (I don't have any).
Old May 2, 2012   #40
babice
Tomatovillian™

41North - you convinced me plus you're in this thread I'm putting a link to. Hey Cran - I just found this thread: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18016 so I think I’m going to try it in my soil mix (unless someone chimes in with a reason not to). I have a lot of experience using cocoa shells; albeit, my experience is in using it as a top mulch - not mixing it in. Here's my two cents based on my experience:

Cocoa Shells as a top mulch
1. Bennies: looks so nice for landscaping for quite a while (nice dark color that just darkens); smells good for a couple weeks; decomposes nicely; much lighter in weight so I can handle large bags; the hulls bind together so the weeds don’t have a chance but the shells are so porous that water has no trouble getting through…the shells hold water too.
2. Negatives: not aware of any
3. Price: some would say the price is a negative but I don't agree because (a) not as high as it used to be and (b) I end up paying more for buying smaller bags of the heavy stuff. HOWEVER - I personally do have to reapply it every year. I find it's almost totally decomposed after a year. So, I don't apply it every time. In the fall I use pine straw from around my property and the hale bales that I put out for Halloween (after I let the birds pick the seeds out). When I'm done planting this spring, I'll put out the cocoa shell mulch.
4. it IS dangerous to dogs - they will chow it down just like any box of chocolate bars they might come upon. Vet says they see dogs die every year due to this.
5. I wouldn't recommend wetting it prior to use - ick - it's slimy and stuff after that.
6. For top mulch, what you do is put down the layer (some recommend 2 inches thick dry). It's extremely light weight and I just get it nice and even in the bed. I don't put it up next to the plant any more than I would any other mulch. Mice can git in there and make themselves a home and you don't want them munchin’ on your stems. After you get it laid out, spray it down real good…get it good and wet. Then give it a couple days of not messing with it. The hulls will clasp together as they expand again. This “casing” is a good thing. As I said earlier, I have at times seen some white stuff form on it and I read that this is okay. Just normal beneficial fungus. So, I stir it in (being careful not to inhale it).

Cocoa Shells in with the soil mix
1. no experience yet - 41North has had good results
2. I will mix this in while it’s still dry and wet the soil real good (after anything else has been mixed in). I plan to do this ahead of time and let the soil drain before planting. Will be interesting to note how the “clasping” together of the hulls affects the mix. But, remember that when the hulls dry they will expand again as they “clasp” together. So my hunch is that it should be mixed in dry first.

(Cran – thanks SO much for this idea! My back thanks you!)

Last edited by babice; May 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old May 2, 2012   #41
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Yay cocoa shells jump on that train Babice.

So I jus mixed up my first pot with 3 parts fox farm potting soil, 1 part perlite and 1 part cocoa shells well see
Old May 3, 2012   #42
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I believe Wi-Sunflower used cocoa hulls last year or the year before and didn't have the good experience I had. You might want to see if you can find the thread or PM her for her opinion. I can't remember her specific comments.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012   #43
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I was doing Inntainer's this winter and couldn't get bark fines. Went with hydroton, which is not cheap, but completely reusable. It worked very well, so I am I all in with it in lieu of bark fines this year. (and hopefully the next several years)

I found this additional info on cocoa shells-
http://www.mcshanesnursery.com/cocoa-mulch/
It appears to have an N-P-K rating, so factor that in to your fert additions.

Cocoa Mulch is 100% organic garden mulch gained from natural resources, for use as ground cover, soil conditioner, and fertilizer. • Unlike fresh bark mulch products, it does not use up Nitrogen levels from the ground.
• Cocoa Mulch is extremely light weight, as well as clean to handle and easy to spread. Its pH is 5.4 and has a fertility of N.P.K. 2-0.2-3.
• Enhances the appearance of any border, landscape, or garden design.
• After watering cocoa mulch a natural gum is activated, which binds the shells into a loosely knitted porous mat that holds moisture in the soil, suppresses weed growth and holds in place during normal rain or wind storms.
• The texture of cocoa mulch may reduce damage to plants by deterring slugs and snails. It also has virtuosity of deterring most cats.
• Cocoa mulch is a natural by-product derived from the Cocoa plant, and fully recycles itself back into the garden soil, without disturbing the balance of the environment.
• Disperses a natural aroma of chocolate.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012   #44
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The texture of cocoa mulch may reduce damage to plants by deterring slugs and snails.
HA! Nothing deters slugs.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012   #45
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Have you held it in your hand? It's like shart little shells do far it the only surface the snails or slugs haven't touched.