Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 1, 2014   #46
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

Maybe one of the new 2014 dwarf project releases?
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #47
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

They may have changed their soiless mix, but, before I made 6 earthtainers, I bought an earthbox. The mix they provided stayed sopping wet and smelled like a sewer. I had to throw it out, along with a rotting tomato plant. Even if you go with an EB, I'd suggest not getting their soil and instead going with something like the 3:2:1 mix that Raybo suggests. The EB's have a tiny amount of growing medium compared to an Earthtainer and the plants I've planted have always reflected that. They grow just fine. However, the ones I grow in earthtainers are very robust, require pruning and always overtop the 6 foot cage tops, and are extremely productive. I recommend giving one a try, and do it along side an EB so you can then judge for yourself.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #48
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

1. what is a 2014 dwarf project release? 2. I bought the kit without the soil included. I know what you mean about a sopping/mucky mess. I plant my containers now with a cactus mix added to the mix that I buy (or make). This aerates the mix much better. I suppose about 1/3 cactus mix might be about right. I want to make sure it still wicks, however.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote