Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old September 10, 2007   #1
strmywthr3
Tomatovillian™

Default fruit fly trap

I've been over run with fruit flies lately with all the tomatoes around. After checking out my fermenting tomato seeds and finding flies in them, I decided to make a trap with a similar design.

I took a yogurt cup and put about a 1/4 cup of cider vinegar in it. placed plastic wrap over top and secured with a rubber band. poked a hole or 2 in the plastic wrap and set it out in the garage by my jars of fermenting seeds.

I did this yesterday. checked it today and it is full of fruit flies that found their way in, but can't get out!! I made a few more for the kitchen and garage and am hoping to get rid of those nasty flies.

Last edited by strmywthr3; September 10, 2007 at 10:24 PM.
strmywthr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2007   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmywthr3 View Post
--------I did this yesterday. checked it today and it is full of fruit flies that found their way in, but can't get out!! I made a few more for the kitchen and garage and am hoping to get rid of those nasty flies.
Sounds like a great idea.
I have to give it a try.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2007   #3
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Now that is a dynamite idea. Don't go out to the garage enough to notice the fruit flies there but the ones on the porch where the 'maters are waiting their turn in the canner are driving me mad!
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote