Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 23, 2015   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default Alternatives to roses, that kind-of look like roses?

So the roses in my yard (all of them) have the rose rosette virus (aka "witches broom"). Anyone found a good substitute for roses (zone 8, Texas)?

I'd love to replace them with other, nicer roses, but there are no known roses that are resistant to rosette that I can find. Everyone on my street with roses seem to have rosette virus, and it's spread by wind-borne mites and new roses would just get reinfected.

I'm thinking of replacing the dying roses in the front yard with flowering quince. I also have ranunculus bulbs that I'll plant next fall. But I'm open to suggestions since I haven't finalized anything with my landscaper and I still need to file for HOA approval.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am thinking you need to find something drought tolerant and maybe native.
I can help you out but I need to know more information.
How high.
In the front of the yard or back.
If in the front will they be against the house or closer to the street.
How much sun.
In a row or not.
Color.

Have you considered or could you replace them with dwarf fruit trees.
There are many types of apples that will grow and produce fruit in your area.
They dont have to be formed into a tree either they can be trained into an Espalier.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cWc&cad=rja

You can go to this site and pick out an apple tree you will then be asked to submit your zip code which I already did and it will give you a list of fruits that will grow in your are.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja
And anything else you can think of.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; February 23, 2015 at 02:45 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2015   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Is it too hot where you are for peonies?

Have you considered succulents?

http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst...11&rs_start=60
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2015   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'd look into native plants.
Here's one idea:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o...lasiopetal.htm
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2015   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

What about hibiscus?and,cannas?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2015   #6
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I would loooooove peonies but it's too hot here, I had them back in NY during a time when I lived in a house and I enjoyed them more than any other flowering plant. I read somewhere that a gardener around here had managed to grow peonies, but it required placing several large blocks of ice over the ground during the late fall and winter (and replacing them once they melt). It's really a pity about the rosette virus, I do enjoy roses, but without any virus proof varieties it would be pointless to try planting new ones since the rosette has contaminated the whole neighborhood.

I hadn't thought of cannas but they look really nice, and they bloom during summer/fall, correct? How are they for partial shade?

Flowering quince is native and drought resistant, so is Turk's cap. This would be for the front yard, so sadly my HOA will issue a "no" on apple trees. My only complaint on the quince is that they look kind of crummy once spring is over and the blooms fall off, so I'd need some other blooming plants around it for summer and fall.

I have a pair of live oaks in the front, the roses are around them in partial and full shade. Once I remove them the front will look like crap, but I need to spruce things up anyway. We had a large bradford pear removed because it was crowding out one of the oaks, so that has left a big, bald spot of ugly which is where I hae the quince in mind.

The bald spot where the pear was is in full sun, but may eventually become partial shade in 5-10 years as the oak tree canopy grows out. I also need something with a little height to fill closer to the oak, which is in shade so I was thinking of using turks cap for the areas under the tree that are too shady for much else.

I have liriope growing around the street-facing side under the trees but nothing in the back half. And I'd need low growing plants to fill that in. I was thinking a nice mix of ferns in the full-shade areas (closer to the tree trunk), and some flowers in the partial shade areas. Other than ranunculus for some of the sunnier spots- which are very pretty and resemble cabbage roses- I don't have anything picked out. I already have some daffodils out there thanks to the previous owners but I'm not a fan.

Cannas looks promising, I hadn't known about them. I was also thinking of oxblood lillies.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2015   #7
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

What about a Rose of Sharon ( Hibiscus syriacus ) for the partial shade or full sun area. It would give you height and some of the doubles have a rose-ish look. They're hardy and easy to find, and there are even some variegated varieties.
Old February 24, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Just a thought.
Canna lilies and hibiscus are water hogs.

Here is the tag on the hibiscus and the advertisement.
At home depot we select plants suited for your area.
On the tag, Keep soil moist.

I have some standard cannas growing and every time one comes up I cut it back.
They are about gone now.

Whats up with the HOA not wanting a fruit tree?

Worth
Old February 24, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Would they allow an herb garden in the bare spot?
I think a nicely bordered herb garden with stuff like lavender and sage would be nice.

Worth
Old February 24, 2015   #10
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Rose of Sharon are not water hogs. And they play nice with Live Oaks.
Old February 24, 2015   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Will Camellias do?
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-grow-camellias/
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2015   #12
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I would loooooove peonies but it's too hot here, I had them back in NY during a time when I lived in a house and I enjoyed them more than any other flowering plant. I read somewhere that a gardener around here had managed to grow peonies, but it required placing several large blocks of ice over the ground during the late fall and winter (and replacing them once they melt). It's really a pity about the rosette virus, I do enjoy roses, but without any virus proof varieties it would be pointless to try planting new ones since the rosette has contaminated the whole neighborhood.

I hadn't thought of cannas but they look really nice, and they bloom during summer/fall, correct? How are they for partial shade?

Flowering quince is native and drought resistant, so is Turk's cap. This would be for the front yard, so sadly my HOA will issue a "no" on apple trees. My only complaint on the quince is that they look kind of crummy once spring is over and the blooms fall off, so I'd need some other blooming plants around it for summer and fall.

I have a pair of live oaks in the front, the roses are around them in partial and full shade. Once I remove them the front will look like crap, but I need to spruce things up anyway. We had a large bradford pear removed because it was crowding out one of the oaks, so that has left a big, bald spot of ugly which is where I hae the quince in mind.

The bald spot where the pear was is in full sun, but may eventually become partial shade in 5-10 years as the oak tree canopy grows out. I also need something with a little height to fill closer to the oak, which is in shade so I was thinking of using turks cap for the areas under the tree that are too shady for much else.

I have liriope growing around the street-facing side under the trees but nothing in the back half. And I'd need low growing plants to fill that in. I was thinking a nice mix of ferns in the full-shade areas (closer to the tree trunk), and some flowers in the partial shade areas. Other than ranunculus for some of the sunnier spots- which are very pretty and resemble cabbage roses- I don't have anything picked out. I already have some daffodils out there thanks to the previous owners but I'm not a fan.

Cannas looks promising, I hadn't known about them. I was also thinking of oxblood lillies.
Cannas do great in part shade. So do a lot of Salvias. You can get cannas of different heights,too. Maybe some Mexican Bird of Paradise, elephant ears or bananas,too?
I had a lot of bulbs from Home Depot that did well in hot,dry weather. Asiatic lilies and that sort of thing. Lavender and Rosemary are nice for sunny areas. Texas sage and Autumn sage,too.

Last edited by Tracydr; February 24, 2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old February 24, 2015   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think the pH might be too high in TX, unless she's in E.TX.
Old February 24, 2015   #14
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Just a thought.
Canna lilies and hibiscus are water hogs.

Here is the tag on the hibiscus and the advertisement.
At home depot we select plants suited for your area.
On the tag, Keep soil moist.

I have some standard cannas growing and every time one comes up I cut it back.
They are about gone now.

Whats up with the HOA not wanting a fruit tree?

Worth
Hmm. Lots of cannas in Mesa,AZ. Mine were irrigated but only every two weeks in summer. It was dry where I had them, under a giant pine tree.
Old February 25, 2015   #15
amberroses
Tomatovillian™

Can you grow plumbago in texas?
amberroses is offline   Reply With Quote