Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 2, 2016   #1
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Default Septoria and early blight resistance in Solanum habrochaites

Just for fun, I tried growing out the rootstock tomato Emperador Hybrid. It was definitely S. habrochaites: enormous plant with 1" diameter stem, fuzzy silver leaves, large flowers, and small hard green fruit that never ripened. Interestingly, this variety showed complete resistance to Septoria and intermediate resistance to early blight. This observation isn't entirely unexpected: the following thread by Fusion_power mentions Septoria resistance in two S. habrochaites lines.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33010

I saved seed from an F2 plant and grew out the F3 this year, and all the plants were resistant to Septoria. Resistance to early blight was all over the map, varying from highly susceptible to highly resistant.

This variety isn't easy to cross. Out of a dozen attempts, I got only one fruit and only about 20 seeds. This was a cross with Brandywine. I'm planning to grow out several plants this summer and I'll report how they did.

At this time, I have a good supply of F2 seed from Emperador Hybrid if anyone is interested. I also took a cutting from the most EB-resistant F3 plant and am growing it in the greenhouse, so I might have F4 seed by this spring.

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S_habrochaites_flower_small.jpg (145.9 KB, 132 views)
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting this. A very interesting thread that I will be looking forward to see how your growout goes this season.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Fred, based on the look of that plant, it is not pure S. Habrochaites. By the look of it, it has another species somewhere in the background.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Great project, FredB!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #5
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Any idea what it might be? It's definitely a hybrid, but I figured it was a cross between two S. habrochaites varieties. All the tomato species I know of other than habrochaites and lycopersicum have skinny little stems and seem unlikely to be a parent to this great big robust variety. Maybe one parent could be lycopersicum, but if so I would have expected some of the F2 to look more like regular tomatoes in terms of foliage and fruit.

Fred
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2016   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I would only be guessing Fred. The clue is that the leaves are slender. S. Habrochaites leaves are wider and a bit more jagged.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote