Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old September 23, 2013   #1
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

Default Preserving/treating raised garden beds

I am building some raised beds that will around 12in high, the wood i a using is non treated pine. I would have gone the cedar route but i got a screamin deal on the pine lumber so i went with that.
I honestly am not organic but try to limit the intervention of non-organics.
I want these beds to last as long they can.
is there a method of treating them somewhat safely, i was thinkinf of coating them with Thompsons water proofing. It's mostly wax so water beads off.

Has anyone treated their raised beds, what method did you apply?

Thank you for any constructive input you may provide.
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2013   #2
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

nathan125,
One thing that I've done in the past with one of my raised bed is, line the inside with plastic sheeting. I used a large piece of plastic sheeting that was 6 mil in thickness. You can use staples to hold it in place and then put lots of drain holes in the bottom. Then you can fill it up with whatever growing medium that you're using. The bed that I lined with plastic is still in great shape after 5 years of use. I expect that it will last another 5 or more years. You can get the plastic sheeting at most hardware stores (ie. Lowes or Home Depot). It only takes a few minutes to line a bed with the plastic. Any excess plastic sticking out, just cut it off with scissors. I think that it's a better option than using a deck sealer.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #3
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

that;s a real solid idea!!! thank you
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

When I put some beds up here in Florida the first time I did not seal or protect.Fresh pine can and will succomb to moisture,also a magnet for TERMITES.Linseed oil is a good moisture control and has some deterent for TERMITES.I ended up coating the inside of beds with liquid roofing asphalt(the bottoms where they touch the ground 2-three coats)The outside visible I saturated with linseed oil for moisture and bug control.No real leaching/breakdown seen after a couple of years.Asphalt in a twisted sense is after all a organic oil (organic when not processed).
Old September 28, 2013   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I guess I am a lazy gardener. I find it just as easy to just replace the boards every 3-4 years as needed than to treat them before I use them. I use the treated 1X12s that are designed for deck flooring.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2013   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

Double boiled linseed oil is a great preservative for wood and it will not be touched by carpenter ants - the big wood eating pest in my area. If generously applied the first time, it takes many years for the effect of the treatment to wear off.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2013   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I used double boiled linseed oil on my 2 x 12 " pine boards and I applied it with an electric paint sprayer. I was advised that Thompsons water seal and such sealers are toxic so I passed on that. Next time I'll do the plastic lining route as that would be way cheaper. Linseed oil is mucho expensive.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote