Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 15, 2006   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Are water-retaining polymer crystals safe for edibles?

Can somebody give me a definitive answer to this question? I'm talking about the stuff sold under the name Soil Moist, but there are other brands. They're the same substance that is used in disposable diapers.

I add the crystals regularly to containers of ornamental plants, but have avoided using them for edibles. I'm thinking about planting a few extra tomatoes in large buckets this year, however, and was wondering whether I could use the crystals there, since containers seem to require constant watering. The label and website say that the stuff is non-toxic, but there's no mention of vegetable gardening.
Cecilia_MD7a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

The jar of Soil Moist I have says:

"contains nonplant food ingredients99.7% Crosslinked Polyacrylamide and 0.3% inert ingredients)"

Here's a MSDS on that substance:
http://www.hydrosource.com/web_clp/990310/Msds0399.htm

(I'll let you reach your own conclusions)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2006   #3
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Their website says it is for vegetables.

http://www.soilmoist.com/soilhome.html

But why not just call the company and see what they say if you have any doublts.

1-800-962-4010

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2006   #4
valereee
Tomatovillian™

One caveat: the crystals can keep so much moisture in the soil that tomatoes won't like it. I think that's what happened to me last year. I built a raised bed for my maters, and since it was a goodly distance from the house, I knew I'd get lazy about watering. So I added some of the moisture crystals when I built the soil in the container. I ended up with all three plants that were in that bed becoming fungused. They still produced, and I didn't have to water as often as I would have, but I suspect the crystals had a part in the fungus.

Val
valereee is offline   Reply With Quote