Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 15, 2007   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Totally confused.

I've been doing my research and I totally get that I can start my seeds using regular shoplights etc, but it seems like everyone that does this moves their plants outdoors after a few weeks.

What if you plan to keep your plants indoors 4-6 weeks. . . what kind of lighting do I need then?

AGH! Thanks all in advance!
hs
hasshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You would do the same thing just make sure you keep the lights close to the plants if you are using fluorescents.
This will prevent them from getting leggy.
Use the standard size lights 4 feet long NOT the skinny ones.
I think 8 foot lights are too cumbersome to use my self, just try and pick up all of the broken glass after you break one.
4-to-6 weeks is about right.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #3
dirtdigging101
Tomatovillian™

Default i use the shop lights

and keep seedlings under light for up to 10 weeks yes keep them close almost touching i buy mine for 8 dollars at walmart and i use 40 watt bulbs not 34 watt
i use 8 lights fixtures and 18 bulbs for a 4' xx 8' area
and the lights hang on hooks and chains and can be adjusted easilly
for hiegth
dirtdigging101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Started June 2nd.

June 16:

July 4:

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2007   #5
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

You can keep them under shop lights for a few weeks. make sure to pot them up..into larger pots. If you can place them close to a bright window for extra light and in a relatively cool spot about 70 degrees during the day an 60 at night. Once a day lightly brush your hand over the seedlings to simulate wind.

This will prevent your seedlings from growing too fast and becoming week and leggy. Do not overwater. Make them suffer a bit which forces them to grow more roots...which is what you want. Do not baby them you will be amazed at the tomato's ability to adapt to harsh conditions.

Move the seedlings outdoors gradually a few hours at a time when its is above 55 and not too sunny. They need time to adapt to the new environment. Eventually you will be able to harden them off by leaving them outside in a sheltered spot, close to your house, overnight. Do not be in a hurry to put them in the soil until it is warm. Rushing them does not work outside. All they will do is shiver in the cold soil and not grow.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #6
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Can't remember where I saw it, but someone in one of these posts showed their set-up and it was just a nice window facing south that got some winter sun, and this is how they started their seedlings. If you have a large window that gets the afternoon winter sun is that enough to reliably grow from seed? I ask because I suspect others here have that window arrangement and yet have chosen to use the shop lights anyway. I thought I might try it both ways this year to see if there is a difference. You just can't beat nature if given the choice in my book, but a lot here seem to really believe in the shop lights.

Thanks!

Don
Old January 23, 2007   #7
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

A suggestion that has already been made....but could use some re-inforcement...)))

There is no need to...'simulate" wind...when its so easy...to create an employ the Real Deal. In our time, its so easy to find micro-fans, like the ones used in auto-sound amplification or commonly found in every thrown away PC frame.

Its very easy to simply read the labels an find transformers if needed , to power up these gentle but efficient motors an provide constant wind stimulus to young seedlings.

Constant airflow is the KEY....to remedying damping off, an young plants naturally will develop good Spine...lol...Tomatoes will even get..."Stocky"..fat girths...if kept under constant gentle wind stimuli and otherwise properly cared for.

15, 30, 45...60....even 75 watts...is a small price economically to pay...for Assured health , Stamina, Strength...in young seedlings...)))

It aint the Holy Grail...but it's close...))) Good luck...)))
Old January 23, 2007   #8
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

One more thing to add...)))

If you employ constant fannage...please give em a Rest on Sunday's...Lord knows...we all gotta get a little rest an a young seedling needs it Too...)))
Old January 23, 2007   #9
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3
---------- In our time, its so easy to find micro-fans, like the ones used in auto-sound amplification or commonly found in every thrown away PC frame.
----------------
It's also known as "muffin fan".
It uses brushless motors for high efficiency, long life and quietness.

Mostly come in 110 AC and 12 VDC.
For a 12 VDC fan, you will need a DC power supply. (9 VDC may work also).

Check eBay "muffin fan" or "cooling fan". Very cheap in lots.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-LOT-OF-50-12...QQcmdZViewItem

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2007   #10
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I agree on the fans. When I think about it I turn them on and off randomly. If you have a 4 year old they will do it for you ...OVER AND OVER AND OVER
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote