Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 1, 2018   #76
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

My first crop ever was planted Fall '16 with garlic bought from The Garlic Store in Ft. Collins, CO. They have seven different Sampler Packs for various areas of the country so I got the one for Southern states/mild climate areas. You pick any four different bulbs from a list of nine different varieties for $14.95. After reading about each one elsewhere online, I chose Maiskij, Shilla, Spanish Benitee and Blanco Piacenza. The first two did great, the last two not well at all. I'm still growing the first two (hardneck turban types), having replanted each fall from the prior crop. They make nice fat bulbs.

The Garlic Store shipped fast, had great quality bulbs and being a garlic newbie, I really appreciated the growing instructions on their site.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #77
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I haven’t grown garlic in a few years. My sister asked me to order some, and she would buy it, and help me plant it in my yard. I have all the sun, and she just
lives in the next cup-de-sac over. We will split it.
It is expensive to order garlic. I went ahead and ordered from Territorial Seed Co.
Trying new varieties of silverskin, hope they do well. Ordered late so my choices
we’re limited. I ordered Susanville & Silver white.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #78
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
It is expensive to order garlic. I went ahead and ordered from Territorial Seed Co.
Trying new varieties of silverskin, hope they do well. Ordered late so my choices
we’re limited. I ordered Susanville & Silver white.
After harvesting that fall '16 planting, I don't believe I ate any (well, maybe one bulb) and saved them to replant fall '17. That was 36' and yielded 95 bulbs this May so I've replanted the same amount, sliced/dehydrated enough for a year's worth of garlic powder, used a lot fresh and still have 35 bulbs left to last until May's harvest. I sure don't want to have to buy more! What I've got grows and tastes fine so I'm not looking to try anything else.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #79
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
After harvesting that fall '16 planting, I don't believe I ate any (well, maybe one bulb) and saved them to replant fall '17. That was 36' and yielded 95 bulbs this May so I've replanted the same amount, sliced/dehydrated enough for a year's worth of garlic powder, used a lot fresh and still have 35 bulbs left to last until May's harvest. I sure don't want to have to buy more! What I've got grows and tastes fine so I'm not looking to try anything else.
I save the best ones to replant the next year. I didn’t have any, so had to buy some.
I did want Spanish Roja, but they were sold out. I may have to purchase that one
next year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2018   #80
KarenD
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased my garlic for the past couple of years from Mad River Garlic Growers. They have amazing garlic and great customer service
KarenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2018   #81
oakley
Tomatovillian™

My garlic seed just arrived.
Expertly packaged and labeled. Gorgeous and blemish free.
Clean, wrapped in newsprint, then the local funny pages.
Love the basic labeling including the variety and its history.
(no need to go back on-line and search for it)

I had planned to at least double my harvest but seems we will triple it.
No problem with that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlic deliver 2018.jpg (258.0 KB, 164 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2018   #82
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Nearly all of my garlic is from the Seed Savers Exchange, both from their commercial catalog, and from their Yearbook listings. This is all replacement stock for varieties I lost last year, when the property where I grew my garlic was sold without warning... lost all but 4 of the 35+ varieties I had been growing. The Yearbook garlic just arrived last week - very large impressive bulbs this year, I hope mine turn out half as well.

Now if it would just quit raining, maybe my garden would dry out enough for me to plant them! Been raining off & on for several days, it will be a week of rain before the weather pattern changes. No worries yet, as long as we get a dry spell before the end of October.

Just checked, all of the garlic listed on SSE's website is sold out for the season.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018   #83
meganp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeedman View Post
Nearly all of my garlic is from the Seed Savers Exchange, both from their commercial catalog, and from their Yearbook listings. This is all replacement stock for varieties I lost last year, when the property where I grew my garlic was sold without warning... lost all but 4 of the 35+ varieties I had been growing.
Surely the new owners could have allowed you time for your crop to mature and return to harvest it? Did they put the ground to immediate use? How heartbreaking.
meganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018   #84
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganp View Post
Surely the new owners could have allowed you time for your crop to mature and return to harvest it? Did they put the ground to immediate use? How heartbreaking.
It was not quite as bad as that. The crop did mature & was harvested. At the time of harvest, I had not recently been in contact with the owners. They were long-time friends, but had not told us of their pending divorce, or of the sale of their land; so I had prepped the ground, and planned on re-planting. It was already October when I learned the land had been sold, too late for me to locate another plot of that size.

I squeezed as much as I could into one of my home plots, but many varieties could not be planted, and were consumed. Furthermore, because that plot was poorly drained & the garlic was planted late (in November) more than half of the varieties planted did not survive.

This is the second time I have lost all or most of my garlic collection. As a gardener, you learn to accept that there will be failures... but unlike seed crops, garlic stock is expensive to replace. I have re-acquired most of my favorite varieties (for the third time); but if I am unable to plant in time, or suffer severe losses prior to harvest, then I will be forced to give up on garlic.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018   #85
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

I had a gift certificate to use up so I bought two kinds from Gurney's. (Music hardneck and Pioneer softneck, supposed to be very cold hardy softneck)

I also ordered two from Filaree Farm. Chesonok Red hardneck and Sicillian Silver softneck.
And I ordered shallots and perennial onions from Southern Seed Exposure.

I wanted New York or Polish White softneck and Extra Hardy German hardneck too, but the places I ordered from were out or didn't carry it and I didn't want to pay another $10-15 shipping from somewhere else. I have those on the list for next year instead.

It's all being planted this weekend.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2018   #86
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

When I break up my german extra hardy for planting next week I can send you a few cloves to get you started. PM me your address.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018   #87
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Hi Oakley! I saw your post and that it's from Hood River....I have relatives that live in Mosier!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #88
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I splurged this year. Went with the people that wrote the book on garlic, Filaree Garlic Farm

Montana Zemo
Chesnock Red
Idaho Silver
Silver White

Planted 200 cloves today (100 softnecks and 100 hardnecks) of saved cloves. Hopefully get these in tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #89
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

A Lawyer bought these...
4lbs ( 1lb each) $93
Gave them to me and said grow them, but I want half at harvest...

This may turn into a really funny joke...or not.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #90
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
A Lawyer bought these...
4lbs ( 1lb each) $93
Gave them to me and said grow them, but I want half at harvest...

This may turn into a really funny joke...or not.

Nice looking seed bulbs! Looks like you may get about 200 head from those, if so he would get 100 bulbs for the $93, close to a buck a bulb or $5 a pound at 5 bulbs per lb. Don't know how that compares with market prices in your area.

You're going to have a great bunch of seed after this year though!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote