Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 11, 2015   #61
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Okey dokey!

First the bad:
I tried growing edrine eggplants, but between the terrible winds, lots of pests, and mistake of using a container too small I only got one!

I'm not going to attempt eggplant next year until I have some raised beds in areas of the yard with some wind protection. They just didn't thrive even in the heat. It was worth a try!

all of my squash had a whitefly infestaton and they receive some sort of mosaic virus. Most bounced back once I got rid of the flies but this is what my Zephyrs and Striata looked like for a time

Luckily, this is what I saw then they bounced back and grew new leaves:

While I planted them out late, I enjoyed a few sugar ann snap peas! I have more of them germinating right now, I can't wait to see how they do this year.

I gave lemongrass a try, they aren't gold hardy as I'm finding out so I'm not sure if I will grow them again as they're all currently dead, I don't think North Texas is quite tropical enough.

Sibirsky did pretty well as one of my early tomatoes, but I wasn't a fan of the flavor

I tried growing Delikatesse cucumber, I really enjoyed them and will grow them again in 2015. They have more of a pronounced squash flavor than most other cukes, but they remind me a a lot of a good kirby. I lost the plant to aphids in the late summer, but I think the plant was exhausted by then:

For for the GOOD!!!
I got some plant labels mixed up, and what I thought was a sumemrtime green dwarf turned out to be an arctic rose. This was one of the few tomato plants that wasn't effected by disease (I suspect curly top and TSWV). The tomato tasted great, it was a very strong plant, didn't take up a lot of room and the yield was good. As a result I will be growing many more dwarfs in 2015:

While I didn't have many or tomatoes very large, my disease-ridden KBX did give me 4 very luscious tomatoes. I'm a fan for life, I don't see myself growing tomatoes without a few KBX in the yard. these had a tendency to disappear before I remembered to take a photo. here's one sliced up on some toasted bread and a schmear.

BBB & SCP produced like a boss in the Tx heat, sadly I wasn't crazy about the flavor so I'm going to pass on them for 2015. I'm glad I gave them a try. no regrets!

Handful of sunshine (sungolds have never done me wrong)

Despite being hit with curly top, Evan Purple Pear still produced in the heat. I really enjoyed the flavor and the size is convenient for salads and snacking. These are on the list for 2015.

Here's a pic of a tomato medley I picked one day in July. Sadly I didn't get a high yield of tomatoes due to the disease issue, but it's not like I didn't have any tomatoes to enjoy. There were enough tomatoes from varieties that did perform to make up for the ones that didn't

I will be using more grow bags next year. while I made mistakes on proper sizing, they worked out relatively well. However, they are not usable for more than one year. I'm going to see about experimenting with cheap root cloth pots for larger plantings. Until I have some sort of raised bed/rail/large SIP solution I'm stuck with grow bags on the patio.

Last but not least, "Harvey the Mantis", queen of my garden. Once she showed up I didn't even use pyrethrin spray (maybe a little DE, though).

See you in 2015
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote