Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 1, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default New lights for seedlings.

I have a very short time to get my seed starting operation going again.
I dont have any lights and would like to know your thoughts on them.
Before I used two sets of two each shop lights suspended from a frame.

What is the new stuff like?
Like the high wattage screw in lights they have now?
I haven't even ordered seeds yet.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I keep reading about t8. I have 5 of the older type fluorescent lights that cost around $15 each. That's not what you asked, but they work for how I've used them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1, 2015   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I keep reading about t8. I have 5 of the older type fluorescent lights that cost around $15 each. That's not what you asked, but they work for how I've used them.
I have the old T 12 lights but I bet my fixtures are trashed and I want something more compact even LED lighting can be an option.
After starting this thread I ordered my seeds.
Worth
Old December 2, 2015   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default New lights for seedlings.

I went with T8 shop lights with the daylight bulbs. All I use them for is my seedling until I get them outside, so no need to invest money or electricity in the fancy grow lights.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I have a couple of 4ft T8's with 6500k bulbs now, needed to double that, and am going with a high output 3 bulb 4ft T-5. The 15000 lumen is 40% more than two, 2 bulb T-8's.

$73.00 includes bulbs and shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-Grow-Ligh...YAAOSwVFlUFrjS
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I use these http://www.lowes.com/pd_420866-43921...hop+lights#img with T8 bulbs. They have always done great. I think if you go LEDs you could grow stuff year round but I just need to get my seedlings ready for the GH.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I stopped at Lowe's and bought two 4' fixtures LED for the basement. I think I spent about 40.00 on each of them but if your lightbulbs are like mine every time I turn around I need to buy new ones as they have about a 3 month life span.. CFL's and incandescent. I was going to move them and use them for my winter keep over plants in my basement since I dont' keep the greenhouse warm enough to winter over the ones I want to keep such as aloes and hibiscus and potho's and ... elephant ears. I figure I f I was spending that much money on them they need to be double duty.
Old December 2, 2015   #8
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

This last year i went from my hydrofarm flouro wings to hydrofarms designer series T5 setup. I am way impressed with how clean and powerful the new setup is. It fits my grow rack width perfect and is the perfect depth for a 20in×12in seedling tray. If you want you can turn on only half the bulbs with one switch or all of them with another switch. They also daisy chain together if you need another fixture. I buy from my local hydro store and i think i paid 120 bucks not the suggested 250. https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/FLP46
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; December 2, 2015 at 08:48 AM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Some good deals and related info.The T5/two bulbs are what I put in my shed for starting and cloning,around 50 bucs.

https://www.htgsupply.com/Category-F...nt-Grow-Lights
Old December 2, 2015   #10
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Two years ago I got 19 T-5 Sunblasters with Nanotech reflectors that I use 3 to 4 per 2' x 4' shelf. I thought I was a genius. There is no doubt they work great, but for the purpose of growing seedlings to transplant you could probably achieve about the same results with T-8's. After looking at Craig L's method I felt pretty dumb for spending a grand when I could have done about the same for a couple hundred bucks. T-5's do last for 5,000 hours and they can be used for complete indoor growing so they do have that going for them.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #11
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I use the 4 foot (two bulbs) T-12 fixtures that run about 12-15 bucks each and I load them with Daylight bulbs (6500 K). A box of 12 bulbs costs about $35. Both the fixtures and the bulbs can be had at Lowes.

I'm currently on year 6 for the first bulbs I bought. My seedling setup uses 2 fixtures on each of 4 levels.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #12
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I used a couple T12 shoplight fixtures and daylight bulbs last year. It worked great and was cheap to purchase and to run. I used a $5 timer that is pretty cheaply made too but it worked fine and didn't break. I will add two to four more fixtures this year.

The guys in the store kept trying to get me to buy led or grow light kits and those were both well over a hundred each. (The one kit was over $300! Just for one light!) I couldn't afford that. And I'd read so many stories online of people just using shoplights I wasn't willing to spend $300 to make a salesman happy.

In my humble opinion you really don't need anything more fancy than cheap shoplights and daylight bulbs.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #13
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I have this one http://www.amazon.com/8lamps-DL8208-...olux+t5+grow+l, and I LOVE it. It also comes in a 4 ft. fixture, the 2 ft. more than serves my purposes. Amazing light at a great price!

Jillian
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Worth, I use the 4 foot (two bulbs) T-12 fixtures that run about 12-15 bucks each and I load them with Daylight bulbs (6500 K). A box of 12 bulbs costs about $35. Both the fixtures and the bulbs can be had at Lowes.

I'm currently on year 6 for the first bulbs I bought. My seedling setup uses 2 fixtures on each of 4 levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
I used a couple T12 shoplight fixtures and daylight bulbs last year. It worked great and was cheap to purchase and to run. I used a $5 timer that is pretty cheaply made too but it worked fine and didn't break. I will add two to four more fixtures this year.

The guys in the store kept trying to get me to buy led or grow light kits and those were both well over a hundred each. (The one kit was over $300! Just for one light!) I couldn't afford that. And I'd read so many stories online of people just using shoplights I wasn't willing to spend $300 to make a salesman happy.

In my humble opinion you really don't need anything more fancy than cheap shoplights and daylight bulbs.
Guys this is all I have ever used the 6500 bright daylight.

In another life many many years ago I read a book on indoor growing and it said they were the best things to use.
Sears was remodeling so I looked in the construction dumpster and got everything I needed for free.
Even brand new carpet for the living room, they made a cutting mistake and tossed the whole thing.

Worth
Old December 2, 2015   #15
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I went with the Sunblaster Nanotech T5 Ho lighting which I set up on a table not hanging because I grew my seedlings in an extra bedroom (one way to make sure your kids don't move back in, lol!). I loved it, got rid of all the lamps and bulbs. The only thing I did wrong was keeping the lights on too long and my seedlings grew quite rapidly before I could plant outside. But it was fantastic. You can add up to 7 lights and I added the reflectors. Neat, not hot and very efficient. The only thing with the table top set up is that it becomes difficult as the seedlings grow to keep the lights high enough. But if you get the ceiling connection, no problem. Highly recommend!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote